Help Needed Truck Stumbles while driving

97 CREWCAB

OBS RULES!
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since i've needed y'all! Last weekend on a Home Depot run, GF and I were just tooling up the road after about 8 miles the truck started acting like it was running out of fuel. Tried switching tanks but no change. Will run but as soon as you go to give it throttle, it shuts down then catches again like starving for fuel. Changed fuel filter this weekend and got about 10 miles and maybe 10 minutes of idling and started again. Dont really drive her much anymore which kills me but with the price of diesel... Hasn't set off check engine light so I really dont know where to start. Replaced lift pump about 3-4 years ago cause it leaked out of the weep hole (new one still does when its cold, thanks to this new garbage fuel!) Changed CPS a few years ago, but I think it was a recall one. Any suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
without knowing any more than that, I'd have to say put another CPS in it.

97 CREWCAB

OBS RULES!
Reaction score
Changed the CPS and drove about 10 miles and let it idle for about 10 minutes. After about a 1/2 mile, same shuttering and no power. Will pick up if you baby pedal. Cleared up after about 10 minutes of that and hasn't done it since. Afraid to take it too far. Could it have been the computer relearning new CPS?

97 CREWCAB

OBS RULES!
Reaction score
Still doing it after CPS changed. Stopped for a while and started again. What gets me is it goes away after a while. Could it be a ground issue? Truck is pretty corroded from sitting still for long periods. All this started this winter after I replaced both batteries with optima's. Could they not have a sufficient charge?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Corroded grounds can lead to all sorts of problems and gremlins. This is a very good possibility.

Dave ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are the places to check ground on these trucks? and a 2002?

First place would be to Clean the Battery cable Clamps and Posts.. REAL GOOD... and have the Batterys Load Tested.

Dirty connections and/or weak batterys can cause the issues you describe.

Joe

97 CREWCAB

OBS RULES!
Reaction score
Cleaned every ground I could find. Even cleaned the bolts for the IDM. So far so good! Took on a short run and no problems. Thanks guys!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58