truck turbo starting to surge at 205000 miles?

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have an early 99 superduty and while towing the last two times I have noticed that the turbo sounds different. Still making the same boost levels, however, not smooth like it used to be. I believe I am hearing it surge. It almost hurts my ears when it does it. Truck used 90% for towing and has 205000 miles. Turbo is original. Is it starting to go out?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How 'bout the Intercooler boots.. are they the origonals ? Tight and in good condition ?

Remove the turbo intake horn, with a good light.. check the leading edges of the vanes for being sharp and clean. check to see if there's any side to side, or end play.

Is the HPOP the Origonal ?

Fuel filters changed latley ?

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, intercooler boots original and in good condition. No leaks there. HPOP also original. Fuel filter changed about 6000 miles ago. Also been up on maintenance on truck. Don't plan on ever buying a replacement truck. The turbo does sound different the last two times out. Will check the vanes on turbo as well as play in shaft. Still runs the same, turbo just sounds much different.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any Mods to your truck ?

Maybe time for a Real Good Diagnostic Scan ??

Last edited:

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
TS six position chip, 4 inch turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, fuel pressure shim, wastegate actuator, idm mod. No trouble codes or anything present. I'll get it figured out eventually. Just seems odd for all of the sudden the turbo to start surging like it is. Still producing 28 lbs of boost. Next thing I will do is inspect turbo vanes and such. Thank you Big Joe for the help. Will let you know what I find.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg