Help Needed Truck will start then starts sputtering and blowing black smoke until it warms up!

dirtndrums

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 F350 6.0 with a 2006 engine in it. When I crank it after it has been sitting for at least 6 or 8 hours it sputters and shakes and blows black smoke out of the exhaust pipe until it warms up. After it warms up it runs just fine no matter how often I turn it off and restart it, even 4 hours later. If I turn it over and let it sit a couple extra minutes before cranking it, it doesnt do it as bad or at all????

FordFarming7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Almost the same exact problem I had. I changed the fuel filters and the EGR valve but the problem ended up being the icp sensor.

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 F350 6.0 with a 2006 engine in it. When I crank it after it has been sitting for at least 6 or 8 hours it sputters and shakes and blows black smoke out of the exhaust pipe until it warms up. After it warms up it runs just fine no matter how often I turn it off and restart it, even 4 hours later. If I turn it over and let it sit a couple extra minutes before cranking it, it doesnt do it as bad or at all????[/QUOTE
weak or bad batteries will kill the FICM i would check it.
Ford 6.0 FICM Testing & Removal Instructional Video - YouTube
2 stroker

pizzaman11

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i just had a very similar problem with my truck. i had to replaced the FICM and injector #4. i also noticed when i was having these problems that my power was being effected, the truck was a dog. so just something to look at.

GGJPGUY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Both of mine started doing the exact same thing, it was the FICM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58