Truck Won't Turn Off!

biggreen001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First post on SDD. I was driving today and went to turn off my truck and i nothing happened. The key felt really loose in the ignition. I was able to shut it off by pulling fuse 22 under the hood. I think i need a new lock cylinder and need to know price and difficulty to fix. I'm driving to the Masters on thursday so i would appreciate some thoughts.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
First post on SDD. I was driving today and went to turn off my truck and i nothing happened. The key felt really loose in the ignition. I was able to shut it off by pulling fuse 22 under the hood. I think i need a new lock cylinder and need to know price and difficulty to fix. I'm driving to the Masters on thursday so i would appreciate some thoughts.

about $45 and not bad - couple hours maybe..

driving to the Masters on thursday
you
suck

suck suck suck :lmao

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
he does suck....only cause i know him personally though:tounge.

welcome to the forum bud. we'll have to get er' fixed here soon. sucks havin top pull out the fuse just to shut her down.

JL, he ended up getting the ignition cylinder for $15. hope its the right part.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've got a bit of experience with this sort of problem, albeit on a old Chevy Beretta.

What it turned out to be was a broken "rack" gear in the column. I'm guessing there is at least a little bit of similarity between the two different vehicles.

Turning the key turned a rotary gear, which drove a rack gear, which actuated a push/pull rod that moved the actual ignition switch burried on top of the column under the dash. The rod would have to be pushed to start the car and had to pulled to shut the car off. The rack gear broke, where it would push, but not pull on the push/pull rod. Hence not shutting the car off.

That sure sounds like what's going on with the truck.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
tru dat.

I can't remember what year Ford dropped the link rod..

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Is the link rod part of the ignition cylinder?

No--it may be connected to it, but most likely is a separate part.

The key cylinder is just a "knob" to actuate a mechanism. That mechanism moves the actual switch where all the wires are. Typically the switch is mounted above the steering column up under the dash.

What I suspect is the mechanism is broken.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58