TS chip help

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 6 position ts chip and installed it. When I put the truck into either reverse or drive, it tends to flutter a little bit and then die. Unplugged the chip and it seems to be fine. The truck does the same whether the settings are on stock or 140hp, any ideas on what might be going on?

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, would like to add that it kills the batterys when it dies with the chip in it, when I put it into drive or reverse. When I charge up both battery without the chip installed then it's fine. I think I will drive it around some without the chip in it and see what might be the problem. I just want to have something nice as far as a performance adder, although I was told that if the contacts are bad on the chip or the pcm isn't clean enough, that might have a lot to do with it as well. let me know your thoughts guys, thanks.

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First place i would check would be the contacts on the chip and PCM

I had cleaned them before and just re-cleaned them. I fired the truck up, drove it around and then came home, plugged the chip it and it died right off the bat. The contacts on the chip look good, the contacts on the pcm and cleaned all the way down to the copper on the board, not sure what is up here..... I bought the chip from a guy off ebay and he told me he didn't need my computer code which is xle4, but now I am not so sure.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'd bet the chip is for a 99.5 and later, which is a different PCM than the early 99 has. It'd be like running software for a Pentium computer on an old 486.

From my own experience, pitching the early 99 computer in favor of a 99.5 computer is the best first mod that can be done on an early 99. It was worth it just for the improvement in tranny operation alone.

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd bet the chip is for a 99.5 and later, which is a different PCM than the early 99 has. It'd be like running software for a Pentium computer on an old 486.

From my own experience, pitching the early 99 computer in favor of a 99.5 computer is the best first mod that can be done on an early 99. It was worth it just for the improvement in tranny operation alone.

Yeah, you are right.. I found a guy with a 99.5 computer and it already has the dp tuner 120 hp program installed on it from jody. I just e-mailed him, hopefully it's not sold yet. I'm sure I asked you before, but a 99.5 pcm just plugs right in to a early 99 truck with no other stuff needed correct? I only want to f with this so much and then I just get frustrated....:cussing:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
but a 99.5 pcm just plugs right in to a early 99 truck with no other stuff needed correct?

:sweet :sweet :thumbs :thumbs

Just make sure your key is out of the ignition when you swap the PCM's. The swap does also have one minor surprise. You'll find the green cruise control indicator light will now function on the dash. It doesn't function with the early 99 XLE* PCM.

If you call Jody first thing Monday, he'll be getting a returned PCM from me in that already has the contacts cleaned for a chip. I swapped him PCM's and sent him my old one back.

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:sweet :sweet :thumbs :thumbs

Just make sure your key is out of the ignition when you swap the PCM's. The swap does also have one minor surprise. You'll find the green cruise control indicator light will now function on the dash. It doesn't function with the early 99 XLE* PCM.

If you call Jody first thing Monday, he'll be getting a returned PCM from me in that already has the contacts cleaned for a chip. I swapped him PCM's and sent him my old one back.

Cool! I bought the pcm from that guy, he said he was really impressed with it and how it changed his transmission shift points. I should be getting it sometime this week hopefully. Then he said he bought an 05' duramax because the powerstroke just wasn't "giving him the power he needed" and I politely ended the conversation. :confused: :roflmao

mike B

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with mine 97 cc srw , just make sure that the battery cables are tite. I replaced the cable bolts and haven't had a problem since.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14