Question TSB 09-16-2 Diesel engine ticking /tapping

Hillwood7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After my first oil change I noticed some new noises coming from my 6.4.
I brought it to the Ford Dealer who concluded that new noise is totally normal after finding the above service bulletin. It wasn't during the filter cleaning cycle so I was concerned. Anybody else had this experiance?

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Follow the link below, I believe it is a discussion on the issue that you are describing. Use the search function on the website too, it is helpful and I know that you can find a lot of discussion on this topic. From what I have read about this, it seems that ford initially had no idea of the problem when they started to manufacture the engine, proceded to tear down and replace engines as the problems arose, and did not conclude much of anything. Some people don't ever experience the problem, some do. Good luck and let us know what you find.

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...-anyone-have-ticking-sound-while-idleing.html

tbrown613

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I do not have the tick (12,500 miles), but I have heard reports of others that experienced it take the motor up to 3500rpm a few times or so and the tick goes away until the next oil change...

I'm wondering if the high revs "blow out" some trapped air in the oil galleys or something similar. Seems air pocket related because the tick usually appears after oil is drained for an oil change (from what I've heard).

Check it out and let us know if it cures the noise.

Tim

Hillwood7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Engine knock has gone away

Thank tou for the suggestion about reving up motor to displace air pocket. It seems to have worked for me after winding out motor to 3000 RPM a few times. I guess I can live with this idiosyncrasy as long as I know the solution and it does no harm to my 6.4 liter engine. I wonder why the Ford dealer didn't tell me that? Doug

DesertIC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have also had this problem after my first oil change, and was promptly shown the TSB regarding the issue. However, after a couple of thousand miles, the noise worked itself out. Now I am on to my second oil change so we will see if this re-occurs.

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly these 6.4s make so many different noises i got tiered of wanting to figure it out. i lost count of how many time i was concerned about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58