Question tuner suggestions

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
The 6.0 intakes are really not that restrictive, until you starting getting into mega horsepower. They do not have the same setup as the 7.3 trucks. It is a far superior system.

I was just giving my opinion on getting better MPGs. K&N claims 15hp above stock. That must mean it flows better than the stock intake set up. The more air in and out = more mpgs. If he is planning on intake and exhaust and a programmer why not do it in the right order? just my 2 cents.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I was just giving my opinion on getting better MPGs. K&N claims 15hp above stock. That must mean it flows better than the stock intake set up. The more air in and out = more mpgs. If he is planning on intake and exhaust and a programmer why not do it in the right order? just my 2 cents.

K & N filters, been there & done that. They are junk.

I went back to stock on my 6.0.

If I was to ever buy another air intake, I will go with the AFE stage II.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I agree I run the afe stage II in my truck. I just used K&N as an example because they post claimed HP increases.

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the aftermarket intake guys claim more HP and mpg - but try and get them to show it to you - all snakeoil. Banks is one that actually shows they flow more cooler air, and they have the R&D to back it up. For me the last word is how they measure up in the filtering department - and the stock setup is by far the best. That Donaldson filter will triple its weight in crap before it starts being restrictive. The rest of the aftermarket filters can't compete with the stock setup with respect to filter effectiveness. Do you want an questionable extra few hp in exchange for a worn out engine and turbo? For me - no question stay stock on the intake, it's supposed to flow good enough for more hp than you're likely to make anyway.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I have the Hypertec on my bone stock 2005, 6 spd. It gives me everything I need for towing while the temperatures are held to the cool side. My cooling fan never kicked in so far and I have over 10,000 Miles in tow so far. Look at my sign, I find that the truck tows well at 1750 RPM so no need for intake and exhaust at cruising speed. In the hills I usualy just rev at 2600RPM max thats where the torque is at best. I want my truck to last me and give me lots of service, and the hypertec keeps in the cool and safe side. Yesterday I went on a 200 mile cruise and was able to keep it close to 25MPG rate most of the way. For the trip I was as good on milage as my 4 cyl convertible VW. I am getting a kick at ecomodding with my 7500 Lbs truck.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I have the Hypertec on my bone stock 2005, 6 spd. It gives me everything I need for towing while the temperatures are held to the cool side. My cooling fan never kicked in so far and I have over 10,000 Miles in tow so far. Look at my sign, I find that the truck tows well at 1750 RPM so no need for intake and exhaust at cruising speed. In the hills I usualy just rev at 2600RPM max thats where the torque is at best. I want my truck to last me and give me lots of service, and the hypertec keeps in the cool and safe side. Yesterday I went on a 200 mile cruise and was able to keep it close to 25MPG rate most of the way. For the trip I was as good on milage as my 4 cyl convertible VW. I am getting a kick at ecomodding with my 7500 Lbs truck.

25 mpg sounds a little high for a stock truck with just a Hypertec programmer. Maybe if the trip was all downhill with alot of coasting.

extremef350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to this site and new to the diesel community, as I just purchased my first diesel truck an 07 ford f350, I pretty much been reading up on the ford and realize the best tuner would be an SCT but wanted to know has anyone used the SCT live wire and what are the advantages are and do they offer different performance setting from like a stage 1 to 5.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to this site and new to the diesel community, as I just purchased my first diesel truck an 07 ford f350, I pretty much been reading up on the ford and realize the best tuner would be an SCT but wanted to know has anyone used the SCT live wire and what are the advantages are and do they offer different performance setting from like a stage 1 to 5.

I have the livewire... I got it because i was wanting to have the diagnostics code reader and the other things that come with only the live wire....

advantages:

have up to 6 parameters to monitor everything from boost to engine coolant temp all on one screen
will do 0-60 and 1/4 mile times
can be custom tuned and hold up to 3 custom tunes at a time
can also adjust user options if not custom tuned (tire size, firmer shifts... )
can read diagnostic codes and clear them
can set up alert lights and shift lights for a 6spd
cheaper than most of the big name companies (bullydog, edge, banks)
and many more

disadvantages:

can not shift on the fly (programming really doesn't take very long)...
it is HUGE and so is the cord that has to be plugged into the obd-II port making it hard to find a nice spot to locate it in the truck....
have to run 6 parameter at a time because it doesn't allow you to only view say boost, egt, trans... (if this isn't true someone please explain so i can change mine)..
to get the custom tunes you must have a computer that is compatible with the livewire to get them on there (i had to find a computer with windows xp that was awhile back though)....
it is a little more expensive than the SCT x3 that is essentially the same thing without all the neat options

all in all.. it is (in my opinion) the best and most advanced tuner for the 6.0L powerstroke and was a great upgrade for my truck... I like my livewire even though i use my autometers to monitor things and it stays in the glove box most of the time unless i wanna put in a tow tune or put my truck back to stock...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14