Tuning?

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little used to gas motor dyno tuning with mods; but my question is.. with all the programmers or custom burned chips, turbo upgrades, fuel system mods, etc. etc... Wouldn't dyno tuning be the safest way to tune for mods? I know there's diesel tuners.

Seems like after you install the mods, you can go have a blast without having to worry about fragging something as bad as you would upping the boost on any gas motor, let's say for example - if this makes it more clear as to what Im asking.

Excuse my ignorance, but is that just a benefit of owning a diesel? Just the way diesels are, they can generally handle all these mods without much critical tuning from a dyno? Granted you can still loose a rod on the factory motor, but it just seems different.

Are air/fuel issues stressed out on diesels as they are on gassers? I know you can tell a modded diesel from a stock one, by how much black smoke pours out when the skinny pedal goes to the floorboard.. with high compression, and how a diesel works, they don't lean out? Obviously all that black smoke would be carbon, and unburned fuel for the most part I assume.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Safest way to tune is cylinder pressure testing. DP tuner and Tadd at ATS can do this. CP tuning on a dyno is even better. Mostly the big HP guys go for that, not the normal daily driver types.

Most programmers have learned what works and doesn't from live tuning and use that info for tunes sent out to people.

Diesels don't really lean out. Over fueling is what causes the smoke and yes it's unburnt fuel.

Hope that helps some.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that helps. I was curious how "canned" tunes on the programmers can reach a good amount of power without leaving too much left on the table for more.

CBSuperDuty

Got Looney???
Reaction score
Canned programs don't get everything. Most custom tuners have done enough research and testing to know what is safe. CP testing is optimal but most good tuners know what they are doing.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg