Turbo diesel headers??

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So this past weekend, some punk vandalized my truck pretty good. Insurance is giving me a check for $4000 for repairs, so I think I want to put some of that money towards performance parts, as well as cosmetic repair.

I found an online site (like is posted below) to a guy selling turbo diesel headers.

Ford 7.3 Diesel Performance Exhaust Systems, Ron's Truck and Auto, Diesel Performance, San Diego

Question: I've seen headers put on gas trucks, and it really opens it up. BUT...would these headers actualy help? Headers dissipate heat, and the loss of heat would make the turbo spool slower. Is this correct?

PS. It actually says these headers are designed for the Powerstroke engine.

I have the 38R ball bearing turbo, AFE stage II intake, and a DP F5 chip.

Let's hear your opinions.

PSS. These headers cost $1250.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An off the top .03 ? No, not for a Daily Driver. Don't know 'bout the turbo spool up, but the Heat Dissipation would be a concern, for me anywayz.

I'd do some Serious study'n up on it.

:dunno

Joe

Sidez.. if Headers were a Good Thing... We'd all have'm.... already ? :sly:D;)

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read that headers on our trucks are only for BIG air trucks. How "big" I'm not sure..you've got a lot of mods on your truck, but I'm not sure if they mean non-street legal big. I have found a driver side manifold, the description said that the driver side manifold is 20% less affective than the passenger side because it has a restriction in the way it was made to go around the shaft from the steering wheel. It says that the way it was built for that purpose is not neccesary. That is what it claims....true????

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you find that information? I'd like to research it some more

I found it by accident...let me get back with you on that....

nevermind....that was the duramax. I googled "7.3 manifold steering shaft" and it took me to dieselperformance.com on the product. fine print says its for the duramax. my bad

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt benefits outweigh cost...

x2

For high performance mods, I like talking to the guys on youtube that have their trucks set up strictly for off-road use. I think they would be puhsing enough air that they would need headers...and I'm sure they would know if it was needed or not...or at what point they become a beneficial upgrade.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: I've seen headers put on gas trucks, and it really opens it up. BUT...would these headers actualy help? Headers dissipate heat, and the loss of heat would make the turbo spool slower. Is this correct?

Wouldn't more exhaust out spool up the turbo faster? and cooler egts (colder air) be desnser so it could push on the turbo more? I think the only thing that may hurt it is a lower velocity of exhaust gas. Thats my thinking:confused:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
For a full blown race/pulling truck yes. For a daily/tow rig no. I ran ceramic coated (inside and out) up pipes on my old 7.3 with no noticeable difference. Like stated ealier, cost does not out weight the gains. Going to a larger injector will spool the 38r just fine. I ran 160cc single shots and there was virtually no lag with proper tuning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14