Help Needed Turbo Down, advise on replacement unit

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, while I was accelerating yesterday (not hard acceleration) heard a sound from the turbo, and saw a puff of smoke from the tail pipe. Everything then was back to normal, aside from a whine from the turbo when giving it throttle. Checked it last night after things cooled down and found 2-3mm of play on the compressor wheel, (side to side) though there are no signs of damage to the compressor wheel, nor is there anything to suggest that anything was sucked into it. There were also no significant changes in the EGTs. The truck has just shy of 180,000 miles on the clock.

I'm in need of some quick advice on a replacement unit, as I need to get the truck running. I'm considering a Garrett GTP38R, or an h2e. However I don't know a lot about which turbo is better for what application.

My truck currently has a DP-Tuner chip on the 80hp Econo tune. straight pipe exhaust, and gauges.

I will probably add some stage 1 injectors, and the relevant tuning adjustments in the future.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the quick answer is going to be to rebuild the current turbo.

95Stroker should be able to shed some light on that issue since he did his (almost the same turbo)

Right now with stock injectors I think you might not like the larger aftermarket turbos due to a bit more turbo lag

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
If you want to go with a aftermarket turbo, check into a Beans D66 Dominator. I know that TailGunner has this turbo on his truck and I think he said he's extremely happy with it in other posts about turbos. It's not a whole lot bigger than stock. Go to Beansdieselperformance.com. Hope this helps ya a little

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
If you want to go with a aftermarket turbo, check into a Beans D66 Dominator. I know that TailGunner has this turbo on his truck and I think he said he's extremely happy with it in other posts about turbos. It's not a whole lot bigger than stock. Go to Beansdieselperformance.com. Hope this helps ya a little

Originally the D66 was available for only OBS and early 99 7.3's. But by the look of his website, it looks like the D66 may be available for 99.5 engines. The D66 looks like cost wise, it falls between a stock rebuild and a ball bearing turbo.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks turbo! Friend put one on his 02 and man, it is great! lotsa turbo whistle and no cold air intake. instat response to.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I had no issues spooling the Garrett ball bearing turbo with stock injectors. The H2E may be a little big for stock. Turbonetics also makes a drop in ball bearing turbo. Both the Garrett and Turbonetics should do fine with Stage I injectors. I have the Garrett currently and it does a pretty decent job clearing up my Stage II single shots if I keep the chip turned down.

Scott

J_F250

SDD Burger Flipper
Reaction score
Banks turbo! Friend put one on his 02 and man, it is great! lotsa turbo whistle and no cold air intake. instat response to.

As far as Gale Banks goes, don't buy his stuff. He doesn't feel like the 7.3L is a good platform anymore. No offense to the 6 leaker guys.
I would probably go with the 38R as it is reasonably priced, should clean up stage 1s nicely.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as Gale Banks goes, don't buy his stuff. He doesn't feel like the 7.3L is a good platform anymore. No offense to the 6 leaker guys.
I would probably go with the 38R as it is reasonably priced, should clean up stage 1s nicely.

Well it did good in my friends truck. altho yeh he doesnt seem to like the powerstrokes.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
If you need to get the truck up and running ASAP you can do a simple rebuild yourself for about seventy dollars. That will get you back on the road and give you time to search for a good replacement unit. The H2E is a good one as is the Ballbuster.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58