Help Needed Turbo Down, advise on replacement unit

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
As far as Gale Banks goes, don't buy his stuff. He doesn't feel like the 7.3L is a good platform anymore. No offense to the 6 leaker guys.
I would probably go with the 38R as it is reasonably priced, should clean up stage 1s nicely.

X2

I had a Banks Stinger kit a few years back. Biggest waste I ever threw money at. In a nutshell, Banks stuff for at least the 7.3, is overhyped, overpriced & underperforming. I very litterally threw it all out and started over, beginning with a 99.5 PCM flashed with a DP-Tuner 80hp Econo tune. Needless to say, the improvement was eyewatering.

Even if Banks did have a turbo for a 7.3, I doubt that they make it themselves. Last I saw, all they had was a 7.3 exhaust housing. If they have a turbo, they probably have someone else make it and put that nasty 5 letter word that starts with a "B" on it. Most likely, it's the same turbo that you can buy from any of several vendors around only cheaper and without the "B" word cast into it.

Do yourself a favor, save some bucks towards an extra mod and get a rebuild kit or a upgraded turbo from someone who would appreciate your business much more.

Last edited:

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being so long to reply. Work has been running me ragged. I ended up with a the 38R because the core price has become quite high for the stocker unit. and it would cost me in excess of $300 to ship the core back to the states from the UK. Which made replacing the stocker with an aftermarket unit roughly the same price.

So far, no noticable leaks from the turbo pedistal or v-clamps.

When I pulled the stock turbo, it didn't look that bad, aside from a lot of black soot from between the inducer and exducer. Is that a normal place for the housing to seperate?

I took the opportunity of having the the boost pipes off to go ahead and change 4 passenger side glow plugs (I changed the driver's side about 2 months ago) None of the glow plugs actually seem to be getting any power at the moment, I've tested each plug, from outside the UVC harness and they all test ok, I've also replaced the GPR. Are there any fuses for the GPR? The owner's manual makes no reference to any fuses for the glow plug relay.

Thanks for the help, its greatly appreciated. Am looking forward to driving it again, once I finish with the gauge installation. I'm adding oil pressure, water temp, and boost. Have all the wiring in place, but need to finish making the 'pod' for the gauges.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58