turbo going South!

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech just called me .:sorry . says my turbo is about to cash it in. What say you? Stock replacement or aftermarket? I don't want to give up bottom or mid-range power and if I could gain some economy and reliability...well, you know, lol. Can get a Ford replacement for about a grand(US). Speak up dudes...inquiring minds want to know....thx

PS: I called an aftermarket supplier that I use here...wants me to go with a BD unit...don't think it's variable vane

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Tech just called me .:sorry . says my turbo is about to cash it in. What say you? Stock replacement or aftermarket? I don't want to give up bottom or mid-range power and if I could gain some economy and reliability...well, you know, lol. Can get a Ford replacement for about a grand(US). Speak up dudes...inquiring minds want to know....thx

PS: I called an aftermarket supplier that I use here...wants me to go with a BD unit...don't think it's variable vane

Are you outta your warranty?? If not I'd let the ford man foot the bill and just keep the stock turbo, use that 1k on other mods.

But that's just me

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you outta your warranty?? If not I'd let the ford man foot the bill and just keep the stock turbo, use that 1k on other mods.

But that's just me

yes J, its about 250,000 on it so it's well past warranty. I got some $#s from a cpl places and they were considerable more than the Ford replacement so am going with that unless I can find something different by morning...I have to get this back on the road asap..thx

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I put one in mine, went with the Ford reman. Checked out the aftermarket ones, but to the tune of $2,000 and up, I think the stock turbo is fine, if you are just lightly tuned or stock, doing what NORMAL people do with trucks :D . Mine had 220K miles on it, I say that's pretty good...

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
yes J, its about 250,000 on it so it's well past warranty. I got some $#s from a cpl places and they were considerable more than the Ford replacement so am going with that unless I can find something different by morning...I have to get this back on the road asap..thx

250,000 miles....I'm presuming this is on the 04.

Good luck with it :thumbs

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I questioned the tech

lol....he told me that when he reved the engine the pitch sound of the turbo changed...this was enough for him to determine the turbo was done. I asked him if there weren't other tests that should be done prior to swapping parts....I think he is sulking now, lol. The shop called me to say that it would now take 3 days longer than they had originally thought. Ya think I was wrong to ? their intelligence? (splchk)

Be well!

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
lol....he told me that when he reved the engine the pitch sound of the turbo changed...this was enough for him to determine the turbo was done. I asked him if there weren't other tests that should be done prior to swapping parts....I think he is sulking now, lol. The shop called me to say that it would now take 3 days longer than they had originally thought. Ya think I was wrong to ? their intelligence? (splchk)

Be well!

Hmm, maybe find a new shop...:rolleyes:

Apparently the tech don't know how to use a diagnostic tool.;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14