Turbo gone???

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
...the Wicked Wheels seem to be out of stock every where I've looked. Is the Banks wheel the same as Wicked Wheel?

Yes

The wicked wheel is pretty much just an early 99 wheel put in a 99.5 and later turbo. The main difference between Banks stuff and everybody else's stuff?? Banks seems to generally be over priced and over-rated.

From what I have gathered in the past, the early 99 had more turbo whine and some folks complained about the noise.:violin

So Ford changed the wheel on the 99.5 to reduce the noise, but that gave way to a new problem refered to as compressor surge or stall. The easy fix was to put the old wheel aka wicked wheel in.

Last edited:

Damn Dummy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How is the Banks different? good, bad?

I just took the compressor housing apart and found the wheel had rubbed the housing. Obviously I need a new wheel, but what about housing? The pictures aren't the best but hopefully the small grooves in housing are visable. Does anyone think that the turbo isn't rebuildable now?

klinkzor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
along as the bearing housing is in good shape your good just make sure there's no burs or little piece's that might come off and fly around in the intercooler and maybe further past that.

i'm not sure on the turbo's on these but on mitsubishi turbo's the bearing is on the exhaust wheel just make sure the area were the bearing rides in the housing isn't torn up. if it's fine then your rebuild will be fine.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the Banks different? good, bad?

I just took the compressor housing apart and found the wheel had rubbed the housing. Obviously I need a new wheel, but what about housing? The pictures aren't the best but hopefully the small grooves in housing are visable. Does anyone think that the turbo isn't rebuildable now?

Yer call but D D... But IF there's Material gone from the wheel, and Material gone from the shroud... when you install a new wheel [some] of the PD critical design clearances could be out of spec. The turbo boost capabilities might be questionable ?

Joe

(I don't like call'n you Damn Dummy :lmao, give us yer name maybe ??)

Damn Dummy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry its been a couple days. I got rebuilt turbo, non-ebpv pedestal, new exhaust manifolds, and Racor ccv(which hasn't arrived yet). Everything installed, I just have to put a few things back together. Those exhaust manifold bolts were a nightmare.
Big Joe- my real name is Sean so you don't have to call me Damn Dummy. Thanks for your help

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno FWIW

I've installed a BUNCH of aftermarket (early 99 7.3) wheels in the past years.. from ALL the major sellers. They all have a snappy little name.. But for the life of me, I cannot see or tell ANY difference in Any of them, in any way, shape or form.

They all cost about the same... unless they're sold under a Big name.. then (?) it's just Bigger Bucks.

Joe

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
:dunno FWIW

I've installed a BUNCH of aftermarket (early 99 7.3) wheels in the past years.. from ALL the major sellers. They all have a snappy little name.. But for the life of me, I cannot see or tell ANY difference in Any of them, in any way, shape or form.
They all cost about the same... unless they're sold under a Big name.. then (?) it's just Bigger Bucks.

Joe

FWIW, That pretty much sums up what I understood.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14