Turbo hose again

JohnnyD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have read all the suggestions about turbo hose blowing off and I seem to still be having those problems. The top blue hose blows off the neck of the turbo. I have tried new hose(twice), hi-tac, adding a clamp in the middle to reduce hose expansion. I've even tied the whole assembly to the engine to reduce its abililty to move. The hose will usually blow off under normal dirving conditions under normal acceleration. The last time it happened, I noticed that the truck felt underpowered in the morning. This problem corrected itself after about 30 miles. Later in the afternoon after couple hours sitting, I took short trip and the hose blew off. I have thought about having a flange welded on the neck of the turbo and using a stainless coated host that would make it nearly impossible to blow the hose off but I figured it would just move the problem to the next weak spot. Any ideas? Is there some sort of overboost relief valve that can be installed?

Last edited:

Jeffro

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Try roughing up the metal surface with a coarse emery cloth. This may give the rubber somthing to get a grip on. GOOD LUCK!!

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all I can say is you must still have some oil on there somewhere if it's not sticking. Have you tried silicone?

JohnnyD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Last time a new host and new clamps were used. That was about 5000 miles ago. The thing here is, it is not really a hose problem. I don't think the whole assembly was engineered or expected to to withstand the pressure generated by an overboost. The lip on the flange is maybe 1/16", the flange is relatively smooth, it is only about 2 inches long, the clamps are relatively wide to compress the thick hose enough to make it grab at the flange lip, etc.

It seems to me a rigid bolt on connection would have been more appropriate if was supposed to withstand extreme pressure. I can't ever remember blowing off a radiator hose at the flange.

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem even after the dealer installed a new updated pipe, hoses and clamps with permatex, seems there was a TSB for a problem, and the tech changed this and I didnt know until I raised the hood when it blew off.
It blew off 5 or 6 times in a week.
Finally took it to another dealer, Had a new turbo installed and the tech there put on new hoses and took emery cloth to rough up the pipes, so far 6 months later no problems.

Paul H

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The problem is not the hoses or clamps or tacky glue. The problem is the IC pipe on that side is not supported and when it shakes during throttle changes it is always pulling on the turbo boot.

I was blowing mine off twice a week with just normal freeway driving. I took a small bungee cord and just went around the IC pipe and hooked it in the open mount hole on the top corner of the alternator as a test.

Double clamped and have not blown it off in over a year. Was going to use a rubber universal exhaust hanger and a hose clamp around the IC pipe to replace the bungee but never got to it.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
You need to clean the inside of the hose with brakeclean, then rough up with steel wool, clean again, hi-tac and install. Mine's been on for over a year now and it was good for once a month blowing off.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Like said above, you HAVE to make sure you get ALL of the oil and other contaminents off of the entire boot, as well as the turbo housing, and intercooler piping, with brakeclean or something like simple green, then rough up the pipe and the turbo housing with a scotch brite pad, apply permatex HI-TAC inside the boot, and on the pipe, and turbo housing, and allow it to set up per manufacturer instructions then assemble the tube, boot, to the turbo and clamp. If you don't let the HI-TAC set up, it won't work properly.

I was blowing my boot 2-3 times a day, then I did the above procedure, and it hasn't blown since, that was nearly a year ago.

Also, I make more boost that alot of guys, My truck, will hit 35 psi, every time I drive it, at least once.

Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg