Turbo Housing

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Alright, I've heard a lot about people switchin to the ATS Turbo Housing. Thing is, I checked a web site that sold'em and it listed 99.5+. Well I've got an early 99. So what can I do? Is there a version for my year or am I screwd? Thanks!

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
As far as I know ATS compressor housing is only offered for the later turbo.

What are you trying to accomplish with it? Are you having turbo surge issues?

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Well, after I got my chip..I was seein' all this stuff about the early 99's and the bigger chips ( mainly the 140 setting ). Folks sayin that the turbo couldn't handle it or whatever. They all said somethin about the ATS Housing. Did some lookin around and saw that it couldn't go on mine. Figured I'd ask and see what others thought. So what can I do if any issues arise? Chips not in yet...still waitin to get gauges installed.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
To properly resolve any potential issues with your turbo that may be caused by the chip, you should just give me the chip and be done with it. :roflmao :roflmao

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Fireman said:
Well, after I got my chip..I was seein' all this stuff about the early 99's and the bigger chips ( mainly the 140 setting ). Folks sayin that the turbo couldn't handle it or whatever......So what can I do if any issues arise? Chips not in yet...still waitin to get gauges installed.

Either stock Garrett can't really "handle it." The 140 setting will give you enough fuel to push more than 25lbs of boost, that's the limit on std. cartridge Garretts. The ball bearing cartridge can handle the higher boost levels. It also has a larger exhaust housing that helps with backpressures and egts.

If you do have problems with surge, I've heard of people getting a later turbo setup with ATS housing or performance compressor wheel. I'm not sure what all is changed over.

If you have to keep the early turbo, the only thing I know to do is drive by the gauges and get out of it when you get surge!

Man you have alot of will power with letting a chip sit there! Glad to hear you are waiting on the gauges. :tu:

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
LOL to Fire1! Sorry hoss. And Rooster I know...I'm startin to bite at the nails, but safe than sorry. Thanks for the advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim