Turbo lag

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
No, you are stuck with what you have, assuming your truck is running normally. NO turbocharged engine is lag free. It is the nature of the beast. If you want instant power, then get something else.

Dave

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the 6.0 has bad turbo lag. When you jump on the 6.4 we have its like a toilet compared to my 6.0

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can't jump on any diesel and expect it to take off without some short lag. It takes time to get the exhaust built up and the turbines spinning to make boost. If you want instant boost, better look into some sort of SUPERCHARGER system. The cons to this system are; the cost, someone has to develop this system and produce it. They will sell for mega $$ and they carry a lot of parasitic losses. You have to spin the supercharger all of the time, whether or not you are making boost. Look at AA Fuel Dragsters. We drive work trucks and not toys. If you want a toy go see Mattel.

Dave

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the 6.0 has bad turbo lag. When you jump on the 6.4 we have its like a toilet compared to my 6.0

That is way Ford ran 2 turbo's on the 6.4, One small to get it to move, and then the bigger one with the VGT. I agree the 6.0 run's better. Maybe to much exhuast restriction in the 6.4.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justa Post related thought ? (comment)

As Good as my 7.3 runs.. I have to keep reminding myself, now'n then: it's Not.. a "Hole Shot".. Race Truck. It's was R&D'd by Ford & IH for the guy/gal that wanted a Daily Driver pick-up that has the low end torque and power for pulling and hauling stuff.

As "Choked Off" as it [WAS] :sly.. (by the EPA).. After I build a little RPM & Boost.. With what Tweaking I've done, to correct that.. For a 9000 pound, DRW, F-350.. This 'ol Boy is One.., Honk'n.., Pull'n.. SOB*. ;tu

:dunno

Joe

* This thought usually occurs to me after I've Scared myself.. Powering down an On-Ramp (near home).. and having to slow down.. to Merge....OR.. after "Smoke'n".. the occasional "Ricer". :sly;)

jagular7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I could count a full 2 seconds before enough boost developed I would start moving. one one-thousand, two two-thousand and it would start going.

I'm picking my SD up Friday after some work. Its 180 miles away and I'm anticipating much better throttle response.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58