rant Turbo leaking oil

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
There is a fresh oil stain on the EBPV rod coming from the pedestal as well as on two pedestal feet. The rod has been disconnected and wired open. Turbo spools just fine and boost maximum is 15 psi. I'm thinking of doing nothing more than spraying some brake cleaner to clean up the stain. Truck burns minimal oil in 3K usually less than 1/2 qt. Need I worry?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'd unplug the wires that go to the EBPV solenoid in the turbo pedestal. That will deactivate the EBPV solenoid/actuator. If the PCM tries to activate the EBPV while you're going down the highway, oil that is re-directed to the EBPV actuator may cause reduced lubrication to the turbo. That is not a good thing.

Aside from that, monitor the oil leakage rate from the actuator. If it gets worse you can either replace the actuator seals or cut off the actuator rod and plug the hole.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
their is something like a felt washer on the inside of the rod.that is the only seal that keeps it from leaking.
i have in the past put JB weld around the rod to stop it from leaking. it lasted about 3-4 years before it started leaking again. which would be a easy fix tell the time comes that you need to pull the turbo. at that time you can plug the hole with a pipe plug or cut the whole barrell off and have the holes welded up.

this the wifes turbo

i do that now to every truck that i do a EBPV delete to.it makes it alot easyer to get the pessdal off and on. but the plug way works very well also.
either way it well get worse as time go's by if nothing is done to it.it won't hurt anything.you will just leave you mark everywhere you go

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
i have in the past put JB weld around the rod to stop it from leaking. it lasted about 3-4 years before it started leaking again. which would be a easy fix tell the time comes that you need to pull the turbo.

So you cleaned up any oil stain and put JB Weld on the rod while it was still installed? To do it properly and plug the hole the turbo needs to be removed? How many hours should that take? I've never removed my turbo and don't plan on doing it myself. Paying to remove it for this leak seems like a waste of good money.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think yours is much different then mine but I can have the turbo out of my truck in just about 30 mins.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you cleaned up any oil stain and put JB Weld on the rod while it was still installed?
yes,that how i did it
To do it properly and plug the hole the turbo needs to be removed? yes,you can't do anything to the rod with the turbo in the truck
How many hours should that take?the fastest that i have had her's off was about 45mins and thats with the turbo above,the back 2 bolts (1 that you can't see) are a pain.it's not a hard job but plane on a good afternoon your first time
I've never removed my turbo and don't plan on doing it myself. Paying to remove it for this leak seems like a waste of good money.come on over i will help you do it:D

I don't think yours is much different then mine but I can have the turbo out of my truck in just about 30 mins.
justin
OBS turbo's you have to pull the pesdestal and turbo at the sametime. the turbo is bolted to the pedestal from the bottom where a SD turbo bolts from the top.SD are much easyer to remove

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58