Turbo Pedestal oil leak

MUDDUCK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i had oil pouring out of my pedestal where that rod comes out and the dealer wanted $179 for new internal and seals. so i went with plan B gutted it and put a freeze plug in. i still have a small leak but i cant see it, i used new o-rings. i really dont want to pull that turbo again.

Also is normal to have oil squirting out the dip stick tube if the dip stick is not all the way down? blowby, high crankcase pressure, any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you are correct with the blowby causing the oil to leak out of the dipstick. Keep it all the way down.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've got a slight leak around the turbo and you're looking for a way to rig it to work buy a tube of ultra copper RTV sealant. I've used it on some exhaust gaskets in the past and it's worked well and it's also oil resistant. so you can just smear some over where you think it's leaking after you clean it up really well with something like brake parts cleaner (let it evaporate before you run the truck)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
On the pedistal leak, you must have pinched an o-ring on install. Its a PITA to get it on there without dinging one, but if there is a leak from the o-ring I see no other alternative than pulling the pedistal and getting it on right.

The oil pushing out the dipstick isnt normal either. The engine vents into the turbo inlet tube on the left valve cover, make sure that isnt plugged.

MUDDUCK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah i thought i pinch a o-ring too and i pull back apart and they were fine so i bought new o-ring and it is still leaking. i have had the worst luck with oil leaks, when i changed my glow plugs the left valve cover still leaks and the right is fine and their both new gaskets.

My vent is not clogged it smoke pretty good and i get a good bit oil in my intake pipe.

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mudduck, I heard of tapping the hole and installing a pipe plug.How many miles on your rig?(Not that it means anything)

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
You might check the crankcase filter in the left valve cover and see if it is plugged causing the oil to be force out of the dipstick tube.

MUDDUCK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
MUDWHISTLE said:
You might check the crankcase filter in the left valve cover and see if it is plugged causing the oil to be force out of the dipstick tube.
I didn't see a replacement for that at napa,dealer only?

MUDDUCK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
clem said:
Mudduck, I heard of tapping the hole and installing a pipe plug.How many miles on your rig?(Not that it means anything)
i have 180,000 mi on it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg