Turbo Pressure Noise?

flyguy51

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I,ve got a 2006 F250, 6.0L PSD, 4x4 with an auto transmition. The truck has approx. 12,600 miles on it. My question is this; When I let off the gas peddle I get a whirring noise that sounds like the first 2 letters in "whale". The sound repeates itself along with a wobbily something is loose sound. The dealer has told me that it is the turbo releasing pressure and since there is no pressure release valve that this is a normal noise for the engine to make. The noise only appears after the engine is warmed up and is more noticeable after I,ve been driving on the freeway and/or when I am towing. I can make the sound appear while towing by getting off the accelerator and then genlty applying pressure to the peddle but not enough pressure to get the engine to put out any power. I can produce the same sound when not towing by doing the same thing. Is the dealer giving the straight scoop or not? Is there anything else I should be looking for?

This is the best truck I've ever owned and it's my first diesel. It may be that this is just diesle noises that I'm not used to yet. Your input is appreciated.

Thanks Flyguy

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will be hearing this and more sounds of the diesel. It is a very different animal to the senses.

Dave

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes... the infamous turbo fart... Mine only does it when it's cold, but I got reflashed once before that it would do it more often. If I'm really pulling hard on something and let off abbruptly, it will do it.

It's a happy sound

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you need to turn up the radio :D
some back whooshing noises are normal if your pulling good boost around 15-18 lbs and jump off the go pedal you may hear some back feed of noise
it will also do it at idle if your standing near the intake snorkel and the engine is shut off it will go POOF at you
as long as your not popping hoses , i woulndt worry
some of the noise you described just before you get back on the throttle is also because the tranny uncouples when you let off the go pedal and there is a funny " i am nt connected " feeling and noise as the engine and tranny come back together so to speak.

what boost are you getting at WOT in 3rd gear or 4th just before upshift?
30 lbs should be a piece of cake on an unmodded truck
enjoy it , mine is terrific

Speed Wrench

retired canadian military
Reaction score
Turbo noise

I have a 04 6.0 psd.I have a auto box and its 4x4.I have the same problem with my turbo and it only seem to be there when the engine is cold.I was told that this noise is the turbo cavitating,and not to worry about it.I was also told this is one of the main reasons that ford went back to a waste gate turbo.Mine is a VVT.{Variable Volosity Turbo}
I dont know if ford did go back to a waste gate turbo.I did watch Trucks the other day and they were working on a 06 ford and it had a waste gate turbo on it .Did ford put two different turbos On their truck hmmmm im not sure.I also have a smaller problem with my turbo.Im getting a fair bit of oil into my intercooler.There is enough oil to rot the hoses connecting the two.I took my truck in and they had no problem replacing the hoses.The mechanic at ford told me that a little oil will come from the turbo.I find this hard to believe,Normally if a turbo is leaking oil into the intercooler then the turbo seals are leaking and need replacing.We will see how long it lasts.
I have had experience with this type of turbo before on my VW jetta.In my past experiencs if you dont work the turbo it will coke up and not work properly.Most of the time you will need to have it taken off and cleaned and reinstalled.
As for boost pressure:thumbs i have no problem reaching 30lbs of boost with or with out a load.I do get alot of black smoke when i turn up the 6 gunn.This is due to not having the bigger intercooler on the truck .Once i have enough money saved this is the next item to be installed.I hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58