Turbo problems when cold

TXblue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anybody having this problem? This is my first winter with the truck. The turbo doesn't spin up when the engine is cold. Once the engine starts to warm up (maybe 5 minutes) the turbo spools up fine. Is this normal with temps in the 20s and low 30s?
:burnit

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You have to get diesel engines up to operating temperature before they work normally (or close to it). You can go to a thinner oil for the winter,like a 5W40 oil. Synthetic oil would be better, and that is all I run now. Rotella T Syn 5W40 available at Wal Mart.

Dave

TXblue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I do run the 5w40 Rotella in mine. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with the turbo.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
TXblue said:
Anybody having this problem? This is my first winter with the truck. The turbo doesn't spin up when the engine is cold. Once the engine starts to warm up (maybe 5 minutes) the turbo spools up fine. Is this normal with temps in the 20s and low 30s?
:burnit

When you say spool up>>>

Do you have gauges that you are reading boost on?

Does the truck make a loud sucking type noise when accelerating during this first five minutes?

I would wager since its the first winter with the truck that it actually the EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) doing its normal job. The EBPV is a flapper mounted post turbo that restricts the amount of air that can get by. Closing the flap causes more back pressure causing the engine to work harder thus warm up quicker.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
When you say spool up>>>

Do you have gauges that you are reading boost on?

Does the truck make a loud sucking type noise when accelerating during this first five minutes?

I would wager since its the first winter with the truck that it actually the EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) doing its normal job. The EBPV is a flapper mounted post turbo that restricts the amount of air that can get by. Closing the flap causes more back pressure causing the engine to work harder thus warm up quicker.

Ditto, theres your deal...

TXblue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. What I meant by the Turbo spooling up was it just getting up to speed. I can't hear it because of a hearing loss, but it does start working when it warms up and I don't have any other problems with it after that. Is this something everybody else deals with when it's cold?
I don't really hear any sucking sound. Sometimes it makes a sort of rattle sound, but only when it's real cold.
:drive

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim