turbo question!!!!

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering if i could use a turbo off of a 99-03 7.3?? what is the difference?? aslo what wud be a good injector upgrade?? wut would help me get some really black smoke?? hehe;p lol

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
96EDGEpsd said:
hey guys i was wondering if i could use a turbo off of a 99-03 7.3?? what is the difference?? aslo what wud be a good injector upgrade?? wut would help me get some really black smoke?? hehe;p lol

To use a turbo off of a superduty 7.3 you would need the up-pipes, collector flange, the intercooler spider, downpipe adapter, I'm sure I am forgetting something else.:cool:

As far as injectors, what amount of power are you looking for? Bean's diesel performance and Swamp's diesel performance are making good power with their injectors. :thumbs I will be getting injectors from one of them sometime in the near future.

I can get some good smoke with my new chip, it has Bill's and TWildman programs on it, much better than my old chip. A free way to get more smoke would be to drive through a really dusty area and not clean your air filter out for like 80,000 miles, believe me, I have seen it, that makes alot more smoke.:cowboy:

Dave

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
cool thanks will deff look into it..lol yea i get plenty of smoke but its just not dark enough lol...thanks again!!

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
96EDGEpsd said:
my first question is why?the SD turbo is not a up grade.are turbo is better than that one.the wicket wheel for the SD is are wheel.but like what was said above you will need all that plus some boots to go from the 3" spider to the 2" intakes if you don't change them.but then again you would have to change all that to put a BB on it.
you don't have to smoke to make power but if that is what you want you could duck tape you filter.black smoke is lack of air and waisted fuel.now don't get me wrong mine smokes like a train still trying to get it tuned in.the idea is for the smoke to clear up when the trubo spools up.
i have had both swamps and beans injectors you can't go wrong with either one.both are great guys and will talk to you about what you want.

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
The 94-97 turbo isnt better per se. The 99-03 turbo is actually a better unit for the PSD motor when you go intercooled. The common upgrade for a 94-97 is a turbo housing (ie banks quick spool) which is a .84. Same as the superduty. Only difference is the superduty has a wastgate to let the truck not choke on exhaust or uncontrolably boost. Simply, the 99 turbo isnt an upgrade but more of an equal in another application. If your looking for a better turbo, go BB. Then your truck wont smoke though. Youll be getting more air.

Dan

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
banks quick spool i had was 1.0 ar. I know someone that dynoed 420hp with stock 97 turbo and dropped to 38x with a superduty turbo, only change being the turbo. The stock sd turbo sucks, period. With the bb turbo costing close to $2k imo the better bang for teh buck is the h2e. Plus if you switched an obs over to a bb turbo your going to have the extra expence of getting all the parts you need so its a direct bolt on. h2e has all the parts needed for install in the kit, but if you go h2e your going to want very minimum of stage 1 injectors to spool it.

As for injector suggestions www.beansdieselperformance.com, top notch guys.

just my .02

luke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14