Turbo Question

viper5035

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How can you tell if the turbo is starting to go these last couple days it seems as if i have to put more pedal into itand it doesent sound like it wistles as much or it does it later in the rpm's instead of at like 1.8k.
but it could be my imagination because i have been hearing noises that i havent heard before and then realise i had just tuned them out. (i hear them now because i am more worried and listening closer since last wednesday when i gelled up)

No black smoke
completely stock
2002 f-250 with about 147k in the clock

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a bosst gauge? if so what pressures are you seeing. oukk off the intake tube and see what your fins look like, nie and smooth is good, chipped or sand blasted is bad. grab the end of the shaft and see if it wiggles side to side, up down, in out so on and so forth.

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This gonna sound really stupid but I made this mistake with one of my Peterbilts not too long ago......but when was the last time you checked or changed the air filter? I went a year on the pete with the same complaint. no power, little whistle (& it has compound turbos), & more pedal to climb hills. I had to DUMP the dirt out of the filters & the cans when I finally pulled the lids. Put new filters in both sides & things were back to normal. Better than normal really. Just something simple to check first. Be careful grabbing the fins on the turbo if you go that route, they can be VERY sharp.

viper5035

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This gonna sound really stupid but I made this mistake with one of my Peterbilts not too long ago......but when was the last time you checked or changed the air filter? I went a year on the pete with the same complaint. no power, little whistle (& it has compound turbos), & more pedal to climb hills. I had to DUMP the dirt out of the filters & the cans when I finally pulled the lids. Put new filters in both sides & things were back to normal. Better than normal really. Just something simple to check first. Be careful grabbing the fins on the turbo if you go that route, they can be VERY sharp.

You know whats funny is that is what was wrong. :doh::doh:i had gone a year+ since i owned the truck and never changed the filter :doh::doh::CRAZYso i changed it on sunday and low and behold things are whistleing good again and have the power back

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14