Turbo quitting (no power)

Max Power

Reaction score
On my 03 6.0L the turbo has been cutting out once in a while. It is getting worse all the time but of course it will never act up for the dealer.

Is this a common problem?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old mans 03 did that, except his left a code and they had to update some stuff to the 04 turbo design. I think it was backpressure related.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they hook your the to the computer? Mine had loss of power and the trans not shifting properly. The first time was the EGR and the second time was the throttle plate malfunctioning. With the second problem the truck would run 70 MPH but no power. Keith

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
throttle plate? I thought only gas engines had a throttle plate. More 6.0 differences?

Max Power

Reaction score
Perhaps he has an aftermarket throttle plate. Some diesels that can be in situations such as propane leaks etc have them added.

I don't think they even looked at it. I have little faith in my dealer. Time to take it back I guess. I just like to be able to tell them where to look.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
ktpauley said:
Did they hook your the to the computer? Mine had loss of power and the trans not shifting properly. The first time was the EGR and the second time was the throttle plate malfunctioning. With the second problem the truck would run 70 MPH but no power. Keith
I forget who the Excursion members name but he had immediate EGR problems right off the lot,wouldn't accelerate,smoked like a beast and shifted like garbage.

He stated they had worked the EGR and something similar to the throttle body/plate which got it somewhat running normal again.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the 03's and the 04's have throttle plates. These "supposedly" close to pull a partial vacuum to help got the exhaust gasses into the engine. Keith

Max Power

Reaction score
I thought they used the VVT to do that? As far as I know there is no throttle plate other then the turbo. I could be wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58