Help Needed turbo rebuild?

hurrutia

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have never posted on SDD but have been a member for a while and have enjoyed reading/absorbing all the info I can. I just returned from my local Ford dealer here in Newport News, VA. The service advisor wanted $1600 to rebuild the turbo "due to carbon buildup" and since Im not under warranty I politely told him where he could put that rebuilt turbo. The truck seems to be running fine, I have no lags in power and I just finished three weekend roadtrips back to back totaling about 1000 miles (one towing my boat) and had no issues. I moved the truck to a diesel shop in Hampton for a second opinion but I wanted to see if you guys have ever heard of this and/or have any advice.

Thanks a bunch,
HB

hurrutia

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I guess I should add what kind of setup I have.

Shes a 2004 F250 SRW FX4 6.0L with 99710 miles

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard of the VGT turbos carboning up, or rusting if they are not driven regularly. However, if they are carboned or rusted up, they do not function correctly and you can normally feel a performance issue. I also believe if the veins are not moving because of one of these problems, it would throw a code and set the CEL. I agree on the getting a second opinion.........

hurrutia

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well driving it regularly isnt the problem, Ive put over 20k miles on this truck in the past year alone. Ive also got a Bullydog PowerPup that I used to check codes from time to time and I havent had anything come up.

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
6.0 turbos do have issues with sticking variable geometry vanes but it usually happens when the vehicle is parked for an extended period of time. The vanes could carbon up or rust in place. If you have no DTC's, your turbo is fine. There are specific DTC's for the variable geometry function of the turbocharger. The vanes stick open so if there was a problem, you would notice a lack of low end because the turbo is supposed to reduce its size to get everything spinning and then get larger to provide maximum boost.
The dealer is trying to take you to the cleaners because Ford's recommendation for stuck vanes was to r&r the turbo, disassemble it, and clean it. There weren't any parts involved except the o-rings for the pedistal. I believe the warranty flat rate time was less than 4 hours to do the job. A second opinion is needed.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hurrutia, Here try this. You can do this on your own and it will be cheeper then the dealer. This is all the dealer will do if they can not stick you with a new $1600 turbo.

Diesel Technician Society

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58