Turbo Surge

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
On my FIL's 03 auto trans, he has some turbo surge, mostly towing a 7k enclosed trailer, between 52 and 68 mph (didn't specify rpm's) so being I'm mostly up on the 6.0's and not the 7.3's, figured y'all would have ideas. I'm thinking maybe wastegate controller. The only mods are a edge evolution tuner, Walker BTM, and a K&N filter:watchout (that was NOT my idea :rolleyes:)
Thanks

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I've never had it happen on mine..
I've had the ENGINE surge...
supposed to be deadly for a turbo, and I remember when I first joined this site fixing it was all the rage.. from changing to the van turbo to a Wickel Wheel to an aftermarket turbo..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my FIL's 03 auto trans, he has some turbo surge, mostly towing a 7k enclosed trailer, between 52 and 68 mph (didn't specify rpm's) so being I'm mostly up on the 6.0's and not the 7.3's, figured y'all would have ideas. I'm thinking maybe wastegate controller. The only mods are a edge evolution tuner, Walker BTM, and a K&N filter:watchout (that was NOT my idea :rolleyes:)
Thanks

7.3 Turbo surge (stall) usually happens at 1500 to 2000 RPM. The primary fix is a W/Wheel.. That gets rid of 75/80% of it.

All a W/G controller gets you is more Boost.. but without a "better" compressor wheel... you haven't really done much, as far as Efficiency goes.

:dunno For $250.00 bucks, or so (+ labor).. yer FIL could get a Ford AIS filter and a W/Wheel, .. delete the AIH .... That, along with the Edge & BTM ? He'd pull that 7K trailer just fine.

Add a W/gate controller to that ? Better yet.

Jus my .03

Joe

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
A "Wicked Wheel" eliminated most of my surge/stall when pulling our 9k lbs trailer. But not all of it. I'm told a ported compressor housing is more efferctive, such at an ATS housing or those found on E-bay. My turbo recently puked and I went with the GTP38R ball bearing turbo, I have yet to tow with it so we'll see how it does. All reports on it are good though.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A "Wicked Wheel" eliminated most of my surge/stall when pulling our 9k lbs trailer. But not all of it. I'm told a ported compressor housing is more efferctive, such at an ATS housing or those found on E-bay. My turbo recently puked and I went with the GTP38R ball bearing turbo, I have yet to tow with it so we'll see how it does. All reports on it are good though.

JMO but I'm not convinced that a Ported Shroud is worth the Bucko's that ATS and others want for them. A ROI thing.

I've installed a number of'm for guys and have yet to hear a "That Fixed It" responce. Most say: I can't really feel much of a Dif.

I'm speaking of the Daily Driver guys that Tow stuff.

The GPT is the way to go, fer shur. If my turbo ever goes South.. I'll prolly go that way.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Surge has been a problem with 99.5 and later engines when they changed the turbo.

The early 99 has a different turbo. The compressor wheel in the early 99 is supposedly the same as the Wicked Wheel which is a surge/stall fix for the 99.5. That's why you don't hardly every hear about someone with a early 99 having surge/stalling issues.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surge has been a problem with 99.5 and later engines when they changed the turbo.

The early 99 has a different turbo. The compressor wheel in the early 99 is supposedly the same as the Wicked Wheel which is a surge/stall fix for the 99.5. That's why you don't hardly every hear about someone with a early 99 having surge/stalling issues.

Yes sir.. and for the New To a 7.3 PSD guyz ? There was also some customer complaints about that Whine sound.. from the Turbo.. Soooo, Ford/IH changed the compressor wheel to the one that surges (stalls) AND...... Added that Foil (sound deaden-er) on the I/C tube :eek: :eek:

(Sure made a nice little Market for (me) the Wicked Wheel & Goof Off/Acetone, to git the foil glue off the Tube, Didn't it ?:sly)

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'll probably have to put a wicked wheel on when I get some spare time ;)

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So my 99 already has the WW from factory? Build date is 02/08. It hasn't given me any fits as far as turbo/engine surge. Starting to get a little oil seap from the turbo stand/EPB actuator. Thanks.

dmd

Reaction score
If you want a complete cure the ATS housing is the only way to go. With my setup
I had very bad surge, and didnt want more noise. Added the ATS and it is so much
better. Pulling my 10k TT I have yet to have a surge even at max EGT and
24lbs boost pulling hills.

ATS costs more, in this case I got what I paid for. Truck is noisy enough already.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58