turbo upgrade?

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2002 7.3 and I want to upgrade the turbocharger. I have been looking at the garrett gtp38r ball bearing turbo and the turbonetics power kit. Any suggestions? How about just changing the compressor wheel in my stock turbo? Is there any point in just upgrading the compressor wheel my stock turbo? It has 180,000 miles on it.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
The wheel helps counter act turbo surge, you can also do this with a new compressor housing, but the factory turbo is efficient to 25lbs boost. The GTP38R is rated to 40lbs. There have been people surge the GTP38R. The other option is a turbonetics and an H2E, but the H2E is only recommended with aftermarket injectors.

I have a GTP38R and am very pleased with its performance with my mods. It's much louder than stock, and stock with the wheel. Click the 341HP link in my signature for an audio sample.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a aurora 3000 turbo on his duramax with a stock intercooler and he can't seem to keep his intercooler pipe boots on. He is running around 40 psi at max boost. Have you ever had this problem? Is it better to upgrade the intercooler? I see you have. How much bigger is the 6.0 intercooler?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I got all my boots and CAC tubes here: http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/air I don't run 40lbs of boost, more like 32, but I have yet to have a problem, and doubt I would with my current setup. There are also pictures of the CAC's in that link, not a 6.0 vs 7.3 though. I would guess 20% larger?

The CCV mod is also a major part of this, no oil at the boot connections.

Here's some pics I took 6.0 on the left:
View attachment 3444View attachment 3445

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I am going to go with the garrett turbo and a banks intercooler kit. Since winter is here it probably will not be until the spring.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58