Turbo upgrades

snoman02

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok fellas,
I need some opinions/advice. My '02 F-450 is gonna be a work horse again for a while and I'm trying to get it ready. I'm gonna pulling a 53' wedge car hauler. I upgraded the clutch, intercooler boots, new up-pipes etc. I had to pull the turbo tonight because the waste gate stuck open while I was trying to install a turbo master waste gate actuator from diesel site. So my question is would you rebuild it and run it, or upgrade to maybe a Garrett GTP38R? The turbo is off the the truck so I'm at a crossroads. The only things I run are an aftermarket intake, 4" exhaust, and a diablo tuner. Once again any and all input is appreciated. Oh I also have a full compliment of gauges.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had the money right now I would buy the GTP38R. I had the turbo off last sunday and wish I had gotten the rebuild kit. I did install the wicked wheel.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with the 38R..faster spool for better take off's and hill climbs...flows 33% more air for better power and cooler EGT's and very hard to make it surge....

Tacklebox

Tacklebox
Reaction score
I'm new to these forums & in need of some advice also. I want to change out the exhaust housing on my Aurora 3000 turbo kit to either a 1.0 or 1.15 a/r housing, the manf's .76 just isn't cutting it for me with good exhaust flow or egts. Thanks in advance for the help & info!

SuperDuty99&01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went with the garrett 38r and havent looked back. however I also am still foghting an egt problem, due a stock intercooler and lots of mods. This has been discussed in another thread, and am saving for a spearco. You how ever should be ok and extremely impressed.

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done any heavy towing with my GTP38R yet, but it lowered my empty truck highway EGT 100-150 degrees. The old turbo had Banks' turbine housing and compressor wheel installed.

On a side note: For my tastes the sound alone is almost worth the money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58