Question turn signal goes solid when brakes applied??

ewswartz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not sure what would cause this but the turn signal lights go solid whenever the brake pedal is applied and the signal is on?? a friend indicated this may be the switch in the steering column? anyone have any experience with this? The issue does not happen when using the hazard lights just the turn signal?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the switch on the top of the brake peddal arm too ?

ewswartz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
many thanks for the replies and I am now back into this as before I got distracted and was, due to good weather here in ohio, enjoying the motorcycle. nonetheless, i do believe that the brake pedal position switch is bad bc the brakes will remain lit when the pedal is pushed then released. This may have always been the case or only developed recently??? Don't know, this is just the first i have noticed the brake light issue:coffee:coffee.

ewswartz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
installed new brake position switch and that is not the issue, assuming i did not get a faulty "new" bps from the local ford dealer. Also the multi-function switch in the steering column is new from the same dealer. Each time i seemed sure and was clearly wrong. This electrical bug is becoming frustrating as i have been battling it for some time. To my calculation the relays that i could find test out with a meter and you can hear them open and close when exposed to 12volts. any advice is greatly appreciated.:dunno:dunno:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be something as simple as a dirty/corroded bulb socket..

Check all four of those out ??

Worth a Shot :dunno

Joe

ewswartz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Late last night i found a wht/blu wire w/blade end that is unplugged. This wire is hanging near the relay that sits under dash between radio and steering column. The relay block is not easy to get to but according to a wiring diagram from haynes the wire appears to be the second hot wire that feeds that relay. This wire is only hot when key is in start/run position and that would appear to confirm the identification of the wire. I will somehow contort my less that flexible body to get this "reattached" and update the thread to confirm the resolution, hopefully. all fingers and toes crossed!!:stir:dunno:stir

ewswartz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The trailer wiring harness has a wire crossed somewhere and I am now in the process of rewiring it. As a last resort, that should have been a first resort, i completely disabled all non stock electrical components and the trailer hitch plug was causing the issue. This discovery was after removing the snow plow harness and several mods to the lighting at various points of the exterior. aaarrrrgh electronic bugs are frustrating.:rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58