Two new problems A/C Vents and Locks

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 99 350. When I turn on my AC or Heat it will only blow out the defrost. I switch it between all the selections and still get nothing out of the vents. Has anyone had this problem before? A buddy told me it could be a vacuum line under the passenger side dash. Is this true??

Also....

Door locks. When I hit the auto door locks, nothing happens. I hear it click, then thats it. Doors dont unlock or lock. But they all click which leads me to believe that the motors are fine. Anyone have this problem as well??

Thanks everyone for any help available.

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your A/C you've got a vacuum problem. I would suggest starting under the hood at the electric vacuum pump and working your way back checking all the lines for proper connection. It's way easier than messing with the lines behind the dash. If you can't find the leak, pull the line off of the pump and blow smoke into it and look for the cloud to appear somewhere.

Door locks, I have no idea.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
The AC problem is the Vacuum pump under the hood on the passenger side. It should be about 150$ from ford.

The door lock problem is pretty common, my truck does the same thing. Either get used to it, or get new I think it's the regulator. Someone will come along with the link to them.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
You dont have your sig filled out so we cant see the details on your truck.

Is it 4X4 and if so does it have ESOF.

If ESOF then it is common for the vacuum tubes going to the hubs and transfer case to dry rot and crack.

The ESOF 4X4 system works off the same vacuum pump as your hvac and a leak anywhere will create your problems.

Below is a pick of the vacuum hose going to the hub(the one closest in the picture). I don't have a pic of the one on the x-fer case.

Tbar

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is ESOF?? I looked at my front tire area and I seen no Vacuum line, so I assume I dont have ESOF. I will be looking into the vacuum lines under the hood though. If nothing I guess I will be tracing it all out. What do you think about fileing out the hole in the door where the lock comes up and just lubing everything? They move but will not completly pop up or down.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
What is ESOF?? I looked at my front tire area and I seen no Vacuum line, so I assume I dont have ESOF. I will be looking into the vacuum lines under the hood though. If nothing I guess I will be tracing it all out. What do you think about fileing out the hole in the door where the lock comes up and just lubing everything? They move but will not completly pop up or down.

ESOF=Electronic Shift On The Fly. 4X4 trucks with ESOF have the 4X low and 4X high selector switch on the dash. The other configuration is the manual 4X4 lever in the floor board. If you truck is 2WD then none of my suggestions apply.

In any configuration you do have a vacuum pump on the top of the passenger side fendor well. When you turn the key(dont start it) you should hear that vacuum pump buzzing. If you don't it may be bad.

Regarding the door locks it would be very unusual for all the solenoids to stop working at the same time. The fact that you hear them click makes me think they are working. Did you just just recently purchase this truck? Have they ever worked? The reason I ask is because the previous owner may have unhooked the linkage in an effort to prevent break in.

That is my best guess. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Tbar

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I just got this vehicle from my buddy. He bought it about 6 months ago, and they didnt work when he got it. The AC problem did work, just stopped last week he said. But its got me confused cause they are working as far as moving but not fully unlocking or locking. I will be tearing it apart today (hopefully) so any help will be great. If not I will post what I find in case someone else gets this problem.
Thanks

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
The door locks are an easy fix... Kinda. My truck did the same thing and so did a couple of f-150's that I've seen. The selenoids on the locks are worn out. only takes about 45 minutes a side to replace. I bought the parts directly from ford want to say around $75 a side but cant swear to it. I also found a very good step by step article showing me how to do it. Try searching for power door locks on this site, and also try searching Yahoo, or Google. Good luck! with your new truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58