Type of Fifth wheel i should get

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so guys im gonna be towing bout 32 foot car hauler holding my baja race truck but i dont know what to go for a goose neck or fifth wheel .....B&w has that gooseneck & fifth wheel comapanion package or should i just get a removable fifth wheel this is what is holding me back on getting a trailer ..... i will be taking it off the highway so wouldnt i be better with a fifth wheel b/c it has more articualtion if so what kind should i get i got a 08' f-350 LB , thanks -Johnny- :dunno

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A gooseneck has more side to side movement.

With a 5th wheel, the hitch will hold the trailer on the same plane as the truck. It will make the truck suspension move.

The 5th wheels are used more on campers and tractor-trailers because they are more stable side to side. The goosenecks are used more by farmers and such because the trailer is able to move seperate of the truck more.

I have a gooseneck, I do take it into the field sometimes. It does move around a little more on the road than what a 5er would, but for what I do, it is the better choice.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
good luck finding a 5th wheel rated for enough weight for the trailer & cargo..

I think you're gonna find gooseneck is your only option..

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
A gooseneck will give you more articulation for your offroad travels. A fifth wheel setup usually does not provide more than 10* of tilt from center to one side. A gooseneck ball will pivot over to the side like a bumper pull trailer hitch until the coupler binds on the underside of the ball which is quite a bit more travel than a fifth wheel trailer. The B&W hitch is very nice and is on my list of things to purchase because of the goose/5th wheel interchangeability, especially because when you remove the B&W 5th wheel setup you have a clear bed, unlike other hitches where you have your 5th wheel rails across the width of the bed and in your way for loading items sometimes.

If you decide later to switch to a 5th wheel setup for ride quality, personal preference, etc. there are companies that produce the lower portion of the gooseneck hitch (where you adjust the height of the trailer hitch so it's level when hooked to the truck) that has a 5th wheel kingpin on it so you can change the trailer's coupler from a gooseneck to a 5th wheel so a 5th wheel equipped pickup can pull it. I have seen these replacement hitches rated up to 24,000 lbs. Here is an example below.

4" round tube adapter:

PopUp GN5 Standard King Pin 4 Inch Round Gooseneck to 5th Fifth Wheel Trailer Adapter RV Camper

4-1/2" square tube adapter:

PopUp GN6 Standard King Pin 4 and 1 half Inch Square Gooseneck to 5th Fifth Wheel Trailer Adapter RV Camper

4" square tube adapter:

PopUp GN7 Standard King Pin 4 Inch Square Gooseneck to 5th Fifth Wheel Trailer Adapter RV Camper

With the B&W companion setup and one of the kingpin adapters you can pretty much tow whatever you want and not worry about hitch configurations.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey Ponyexpress94 that helps alot looks like im gonna go for the B&W gooseneck they say its rated @ 30 k and the companion 5thwheel @ 18k all together is like $1,300 plus gettin it installed say few hundred bucks thats not bad ay ?

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
hey Ponyexpress94 that helps alot looks like im gonna go for the B&W gooseneck they say its rated @ 30 k and the companion 5thwheel @ 18k all together is like $1,300 plus gettin it installed say few hundred bucks thats not bad ay ?

Glad the info I passed along was helpful. Be sure to snap a few picutres of your new setup when you have it so we can see the results of our suggestions.:)

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ponyexpress94 will do bud im gonna order me up the b&W goose this week get it installed sometime early next week along with some snap shots of the finished deal

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres them images Ponyexpress94 !

gooseneckLsideview.jpg

gooseneckrsideview.jpg
[/IMG]

goosneckbedview.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics