U joint removal?

bmfdt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok well I snapped the bolts holding my driveshaft to the pumpkin. So far I got a new u joint and replacement bolts but cant seem to get the old u joint off. I removed the clips on both sides. From what I understand I need to get a C clamp and use a socket to compress the old one till it comes out. well I tried that and bent the entire steel clamp within 10minutes after buying it. Any suggestions or addice would really help before I have to go to work. Thanks

Justin Q.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
bmfdt said:
Ok well I snapped the bolts holding my driveshaft to the pumpkin. So far I got a new u joint and replacement bolts but cant seem to get the old u joint off. I removed the clips on both sides. From what I understand I need to get a C clamp and use a socket to compress the old one till it comes out. well I tried that and bent the entire steel clamp within 10minutes after buying it. Any suggestions or addice would really help before I have to go to work. Thanks

Justin Q.

You need a u joint press. You can rent them at a good rental yard. It is a screw press with a cast U frame. C clamps don't work.

Dave

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Get a socket that your u-joint cap will go through and one that is just slightly smaller than the cap. Make sure you remove the clips that hold the caps in then the big socket goes under the joint,small one sits on the top one. Now hit the top one with a big hammer. You might want to use some wood blocks to hold the shaft level so every thing lines up. Two people makes it alot easier. A press is easier but this is barnyard enginneering. The joint should be driven out and into the larger bottom socket. When you turn it over to do the other side a large punch etc. works good on the top side.

bmfdt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I finaly got it by using a 21mm socket and just beating it with a sledge hammer after I removed the driveshaft. Lets just say neither end of that socket can be used again. Now I just have to go to the dealership and order the two clamps that bolt the u joint to the differential. They got bent when it busted loose as well as a chunk taken out of my muffler. thanks again.

Justin Q.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Now that you have the new joint in rotate it to see if it binds. If it does hold the drive shaft and hit the yoke with a smaller hammer about halfway between the tube and where the cap is. Do both sides with a quick sharp rap and the joint should turn free. I learned that trick years ago and it will extend the life of the u-joint. Bye the way how did you break the joint. :confused: :dunno

bmfdt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The u joint just got damaged when the driveshaft broke loose. The part I broke are the 4 bolts holding the rear u joint to the differential. I did that by dumping the clutch. When it happened it slammed the end of the driveshaft into the ground, muffler, and wherever else it hit damaging the u joint. Luckily that is fixed with new bolts so that shouldnt happen again. Funny story, I was yanking on the driveshaft to get it out. well it moved back but didnt come loose so I let go of it thinking it wasnt going anywhere. It did. Dropped right on my eye leaving it red for a few hours. Oh well thanks for the input again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58