U-joint tech support

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Hi there, first time caller, long time listener here :lmao

My project for the weekend is the carrier bearing (it's making noise) and the u-joints (because they are there).

My problem is I'm having trouble getting the u-joints out of the driveshaft yokes. I've pressed the u-joint as far over in the yoke as it'll go. The u-joint is hitting the yoke. But it isn't going over far enough to pop the u-joint end cap out of the yoke.

I've tried grabbing the cap with a BIG channel lock pliers, but the end cap is too hard to get a bite on it.

I'm kinda stumped for the moment.:dunno

Thanks for any inputs,
"Befuddled in the basement"

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tail_Gunner, Get a saw or a Rex cut wheel and cut the joint just behind the yokes at the caps and press them out. Man if you only new how many I have done. I don't even bother to press them out anymore, just cut behind the yokes and press the caps out. Try it you'll like it like Mikey like life....:D O' I have been known to use a torch to heat up the yokes to get the caps out too.:sly

"Forgot" rex cut wheel fits on a hand held grinder

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
try clamping vice-grips on the end cap and tap on the grips with a hammer. you may also try clamping u-joint cap in a vice and tapping gently on the driveshaft....

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
try clamping vice-grips on the end cap and tap on the grips with a hammer. you may also try clamping u-joint cap in a vice and tapping gently on the driveshaft....

I tried the big honkin' channel locks, I'll give the vise grips a shot too.
Thanks.

dachshund

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cutting the joint is a good idea. Never crossed my mind to do that. Hopefully I can store that away in my mind and retrieve it the next time I have a tough one. I've always did the very tight Vise Grip thing. The down side to that is it damages the teeth on the jaws a bit.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Huh.
I've never had any problems driving the yoke one way and just turning the cap out with a pair of pliers..

Unless it got driven crooked by binding the cross against the yoke maybe?

The really fun ones are the ones you blow the bottom of the cap out while hammering...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Update

I'm making head way. After taking a break last night while the wife took her pre-night shift nap, I went back and tried again. This time they came right out. :dunno

I've got 2 of 3 u-joints out. I've had Blaster penetrating oil soaking on that big nut for the carrier bearing yoke over night. That one is going to be a major PITA.

The shop manual says "take it to a shop". :pray

Last edited:

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Once you get your new joints installed if they don't turn free try hitting the curved part of the yoke just below the cap with a big hammer while holding the driveshaft. You have to give it a pretty sharp rap and most of the time it will loosen it right up. Works for me.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've got 2 of 3 u-joints out. I've had Blaster penetrating oil soaking on that big nut for the carrier bearing yoke over night. That one is going to be a major PITA.

The shop manual says "take it to a shop". :pray

I got the big nut off. It only took a 3/4" socket set with a 4' steel sq. tube over the ratchet handle for leverage. I'm guessing about 300 ft/lbs to break it loose. Once I got the yoke off, I got the carrier bearing off with a flywheel/ gear puller.

Now the next hurdle is those friggen spring clips for the u-joint cap clips. I broke two of the little bastards off. -mad -mad Lord how I hate what road salt does to vehicles in the winter.

I took my pneumatic cut off wheel and cut a small notch in the edge of the yoke and clip. One I was able to tap one clip around into the notch and then knock it out. The other is rusted and siezed, it's soaking in Blaster right now.

Once I get that last u-joint out, I'll be ready to go buy new parts.

Question: Anybody heard of Neapco U-joints? Are they any good? USA made or crap made in China? They are listed on the Advance Auto Parts website. I have a store locally.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I run neapco's in the bronco. Driveshaft and axle joints that have a lifetime warranty. So far no failures. Looks to be made well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg