"U" joints & Carrier bearing

RGL38

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Now that the front end has been reworked I want to replace the "U" joints and carrier bearing. Any tricks or info on pitfalls will be greatly appreciated.
RGL
2000 F-250 7.3 2 wheel drive

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the carrier bearing is a press on/ press off deal be sure to keep the two pieces of the shaft aligned when you're putting it back together as it can impact the balance of the driveshaft.

I had a shop do one on a ranger and they put the yoke back on one spline off so I had an odd vibration that took me a while to diagnose.

U-joints just be patient so you don't bend the ears on the yokes. a balljoint press or a shop press are helpful in changing them.

No great mystery to doing them especially if you've done them before.

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine got a new one piece driveshaft built and did away with his carrier bearing. It was cheaper to have this done than to replace the carrier bearing. The shop that did the work used his old driveshaft ends so that cut down on the cost.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Now that the front end has been reworked I want to replace the "U" joints and carrier bearing. Any tricks or info on pitfalls will be greatly appreciated.
RGL
2000 F-250 7.3 2 wheel drive

You will not believe what I just finished doing not 20 minutes ago!!!

No sh*t, I just 5 minutes ago I got back from the test drive.

Things I learned:

Mark all the sections to ensure you put the drive shaft sections back together in the same orientation. If you don't, you may throw the balance off. I just used a can of spray paint at each u-joint.

There are two different sized carrier bearings. The difference is the ID of the bearing itself. Mine was the bigger of the two. Getting the carrier bearing yoke nut off was a biatch. According to the book, it's torqued to 300 ft/lbs. It'll take a big breaker bar with a 4' extension over the breaker bar just to break it loose. Luckily I have a 3/4" socket set. Getting the nut loose isn't the only hard part. You have to hold the drive shaft secure enough so it'll stay put when wrenching on the other end to the tune of 300+ ft/lbs. I removed the u-joint on the other end first, sticking a big assed chissel thru the yoke and jammed the chisel into the bench vise. Once I got that nut off, I used a punch to index the slip splines to ensure I put it back together the same way. The yoke came off with little effort. To get the bearing off, I cut the rubber bumper off leaving the bearing alone on the shaft. I have a flywheel/gear puller that worked to get the bearing off. The new bearing came with a shield to press on the the yoke. I cleaned the major rust off the yoke shaft and using a pvc pipe connector as a driver, pressed the the shield onto the yoke. The new bearing and bracket assembly slid onto the shaft and it pressed into place when I put that big assed nut back on. I torqued it to some insane value I guessed was in the ball park of 300 ft/lbs.

Getting the old u-joints out was fun. The bench vise wouldn't do it and I don't have a press.
To drive the u-joints out I used some of those 3/4" drive sockets and a big arsed mallet (blunt end of a wood splitting maul). I supported the side ears of the yoke with a couple of big sockets, and used a 3rd socket larger than the u-joint cap diameter to drive the caps out of the yoke with the help of my big mallet. I'd drive them as far as I could until the center cross was hitting the yoke, but the end caps still wouldn't come loose. I took a break and went back to it later. And then everything started coming loose.:dunno

When I went to the parts place, they looked the u-joints up by application. I got home and guess what? Yep, wrong ones. They gave me 2-0053 u-joints. The diameter of the caps was ok, but the width of the u-joint was short. So I went to the only place open after 6pm and got 3ea 2-0054BF u-joints from Advance at almost half the Car Quest price for the same part number.

The u-joint yokes needed a little cleanup in the bores. So I did some de-burring and de-rusting with a curved file. I also wanted to ensure the u-joint caps were fully greased. I removed them and added a little grease. I pushed them back onto the cross while turning them to sqeeze out any excess grease. Then I again removed the caps for installation. The first cap I pressed in was rather tight, so I greased up the outside of the remaining caps which seemed to help. The rest went in a bit easier.

The rest of the job was pretty uneventful. The noise I was hearing before was indeed a bad carrier bearing. It rolls much quieter now.:sweet

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine got a new one piece driveshaft built and did away with his carrier bearing. It was cheaper to have this done than to replace the carrier bearing. The shop that did the work used his old driveshaft ends so that cut down on the cost.

FWIW: The last time I was at Brian's truck shop getting a tranny checkup, I asked him about the 1 piece drive shafts. The advice from the guru of tranny grunt was stay away from them. He has seen a lot of tranny's with broken tailshafts due to 1 piece drive shafts.

The bearing & bracket I got was a National for only $25.

Not trying to start anything, just passing stuff along.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
FWIW: The last time I was at Brian's truck shop getting a tranny checkup, I asked him about the 1 piece drive shafts. The advice from the guru of tranny grunt was stay away from them. He has seen a lot of tranny's with broken tailshafts due to 1 piece drive shafts.

The bearing & bracket I got was a National for only $25.

Not trying to start anything, just passing stuff along.

It's a legit concern. The 1-piece shaft just about wraps itself into a pretzel under load.

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came from the factory with a one piece drive shaft so I would think that FORD knew what they were doing when they built the truck. Do a little research by searching the part numbers for driveshafts and you will find that Ford makes both solid and split drive shafts for the same wheelbase trucks. Did Brian happen to say 'how' the truck was being used when the tailshafs broke, were they pulling, or racing? Most competitors use one piece drive shafts, less to go wrong. I doubt that the one piece drive shaft caused the tailshaft to break...the shaft would twist B 4 the tailshaft would break, I've seen lots of twisted shafts on offroad trucks and a few on the street and they were ALL under a load when they went south.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The two piece drive shaft is used on four door trucks and the like. Longer than the two door standard truck.

Dave

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not so!! My 01 f-250 supercab came with a one piece driveshaft and a friend has the exact same truck, except it is a 99 supercab, which had a two piece drive shaft, both trucks have the same wheelbase. Neither are 'true' four door trucks but both have a longer wheelbase than the two door trucks. However, I will agree that the 'long wheelbase' true four door trucks do have two piece shafts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14