Question U Joints going bad- what to do

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanic that is doing an insurance replacement of a tie rod, says my driver side U-joint is bad and the passenger side is worse. I know you don't know what "bad" and "worse" mean, but I wonder what others' experiences have been.
-Since only 1% of my miles are in 4X4 do I really need to spend the $630 to replace the U-joints? When not in 4X4, the U-joints don't even turn.

Thanks,

BigRedWeather

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
The big issue with bad axle u-joints is , the binding that can happen when you turn. they may not be rotating w/ the wheels, but there still flexing as the tires turn left and right. I've seen some so bad that the truck wouldnt turn. I say replace them and feel lucky that they lasted this long- 150,000 miles is dabg good. If you run the hubs locked once in a while it will keep the needle bearings lubed- not wih the transfer case in 4x4 of course.:D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I replaced my "LifeTime" U-joints with greasable ones. Just because I don't believe in Anything LifeTime ? Does'nt make them bullet proof but dern near if you can grease'm ?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
when you have the money, change them. i have put off doing mine for 2 years now and they have gone from bad to worse to TERRIBLE. now i have death noises when i need to use the 4x4.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
do I really need to spend the $630 to replace the U-joints?

no.you can replace them yourself if you have any kind of mechanical ability.the ujoints are 15 bux each at autozone and advance.and many knoweledgeable people here to help you do it.for 630.00 i hope they are replaceing the ball joints as well.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
BigRedWeather,

Replace them yourself down the road ;) That price is NUTS to replace them!

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
That price is NUTS to replace them!

definately nuts.i can see 3-400 but not 600.i get 250 to replace the ujoints and all 4 balljoints.not including parts cuz i let my customers buy thier own parts if they want to.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
well at my shops labor rates and parts markups i wouldnt say the price is nuts at all. I WOULDNT PAY IT, but our shop would probably get you for around 800, ball joints included. you can do it yourself, or find a different shop to quote it.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
well at my shops labor rates and parts markups i wouldnt say the price is nuts at all. I WOULDNT PAY IT, but our shop would probably get you for around 800, ball joints included. you can do it yourself, or find a different shop to quote it.

He didn't say ball joints was included...if they where, then yea, that would be about right... :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58