Question Ugly fuel filter

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
If you read my long winded story on my fuel filter change odyssey, you will know I recently changed my fuel filter. I got back from my hunting trip and decided to post photos of the fuel filter that came out of my PS. 1K+ mile trouble free trip with some off road on the hunting preserve.

Ugly is not even close to how bad this thing looked. I change this filter at every oil change and this is the first time it has EVER looked like this. At some point in time, I must have had h2o in the fuel. My SD never stumbled, ran rough etc and no indication of trouble. I run cetane booster, fuel anti-gel and an occasional can of sea foam.
Opinions.

Germany6-11163.jpg

Germany6-11165.jpg

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might have Topped Off with fuel at a Station that had just recieved a load of Diesel.

While the delivery is down loading, any sediments in the service tank can get stirred up. Takes 2-3 hours for it to settle out.

If anyone Tops Off shortly after a delivery.. they stand a Real Good chance of getting a slug of dirty fuel.

Whalla ? Your Filter ??

Joe

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
You might have Topped Off with fuel at a Station that had just recieved a load of Diesel.

While the delivery is down loading, any sediments in the service tank can get stirred up. Takes 2-3 hours for it to settle out.

If anyone Tops Off shortly after a delivery.. they stand a Real Good chance of getting a slug of dirty fuel.

Whalla ? Your Filter ??

Joe

I always avoid stations with a tanker sitting there for at least a day because I got bad gas one day in my wife's camaro about 20 years ago. Never know if a tanker just left before I came along.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I should have said some of that was sludge and some was rust.

From a Past Life, as a DOD Fuel Facility Mgr.:

Depending on the age of a tank, Company SOP & Policy.. It might be surprising to many.. the amount of, and the consistency of, the Muck, Mud and Rust that builds up and comes out.. when ANY tank is Striped & Cleaned.. Some outfits don't Strip & Clean a fuel service/storage tank, 'til they start to get Customer Complaints.

I've seen Sediments come out by multiple Bucket loads.

Very simply put: All Dino fuels have sediments and water in them. The sediments coalesce in time, and sink. The H20 and Carbon mixes, forms rust in time, and sinks.

Wish we all had Low Point Drains.

Joe

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 30 micron Racor "prefilter" on mine just for that reason.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg