Uh oh--think a hub bearing is going out...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a 1 1/2 weeks ago, I started hearing a very intermittent squeaking that sounded like it was coming from the tranny but since it went away, I ignored it and gave thanks I didn't have to break out Mr. VISA to fix it (I don't have an abundance of cash at the moment). Just today, though, on my way back from class I started hearing a pretty much continuous squealing/"cheep-cheep-cheep" sound whenever I was in motion (noise went away when stopped) and I'm pretty damn worried, since if it is a hub bearing on its way out I don't want to have a wheel fall off as I'm going down the road. Could this possibly be a hub bearing or do any of you think it might be something else that, within reason, I can let go for another day or two while driving ~10 miles in the meantime (earliest possible time I can get my truck to a shop is tomorrow at 1000)?

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
It very well could be a hub among other things, but it really sounds like a u joint about to launch.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It very well could be a hub among other things, but it really sounds like a u joint about to launch.

I wouldn't mind a u-joint since they're not terribly expensive to fix, but do you think I'd be safe driving <10 miles tomorrow morning (slowly) since I have to get to class somehow and Maggie (Mrs. JV) can't leave work to cart me around?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
good choice...but i was going to say that if you really needed to drive, i have gone about 20miles fast, towing a trailer, on a chirping ujoint with no problems.

you really should figure out what the noise is though, it could be something silly. like dusty brakes, an exhaust hanger, a dust shield....a lot of things can make noises like what you described.

does the noise get faster/louder as your speed increases?
does it go away when you let off the throttle, or get louder?
does your brake pedal feel squishy, as if there was air in the system?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zookie400 said:
does the noise get faster/louder as your speed increases?

Dunno--I drive from school to home at a pretty steady, slow speed (caught all green lights except for 1 on my way back so I didn't really slow down much).

Zookie400 said:
does it go away when you let off the throttle, or get louder?

It went away completely when I stopped and got a little louder when I accelerated. It was never loud, so saying "a little louder" isn't a very dramatic increase.

Zookie400 said:
does your brake pedal feel squishy, as if there was air in the system?

The brakes feel fine, apart from the slight pulsing from warped front rotors. I just had the brakes checked out and the fluid R/R'ed ~ 1 month ago.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Feel the front hubs, if you have a bearing going out, it will be noticeably hotter than the other hub.

Dave

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a strange

noise a bit ago...took the longest time to figure out it was the front wheel bearing (right) as it was intermitent. Finally had the shop hook up their electronic chassis ears n found it. Never had a wheel bearing that didn't get bad real quick n constant before. A couple days later I changed the other side just to be on the safe side. Although it didn't appear or sound bad, the truck certainly is quieter and better steering now...my imagination probably, but I feel better they are both new now. I'd guess a u-joint from what your describing though. I now have a clicking that I'd bet is an front axle u-joint going South. Gotta love metal....sooner or later if ya drive it, it's gonna need replacing.

Be well!

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
Feel the front hubs, if you have a bearing going out, it will be noticeably hotter than the other hub.

Dave

AHHHH HAAA!!!! been having a tick from my truck, no wobbles just tick. Noticed that the hub was freakin hotter than the other. Thanks for the info!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58