uhh ohhh!!! white smoke!

neil_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i came out of my parents house yesterday and my truck had been idleing for about 30 to 40 mins, i looked at my exhaust tip and there was a light white smoke coming out. i got in and reved it up to about 1300 rpms and a little white puff of smoke came out. does anybody know where to start diagnosing this? i know when my brothers turbo went out it smoked for a week or two

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was just built up fuel in the system, you really should not leave it idleing for more then 10 minutes with out upping the idle...

neil_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i normally dont but i went in side to grab a check and ended up helping my dad get the tree down thanks alot

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
neil_04 said:
well i normally dont but i went in side to grab a check and ended up helping my dad get the tree down thanks alot
My HO, you get out of it, shut it off. You're just wasting diesel and saving nothing. Leaving it idle for 30 to 40 minutes is not good. It will damage things if done enough.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
just for reference too, Texas has made leaving an unattended vehicle running a misdemeanor. More importantly, if it is stolen, your insurance will deny the claim if you left the key in it.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
just for reference too, Texas has made leaving an unattended vehicle running a misdemeanor. More importantly, if it is stolen, your insurance will deny the claim if you left the key in it.
:eek: :eek: if that isn't incentive to shut 'er down, I'm not sure what is!

[hijack] So, I'm curious, at what point in time do we all stop buying insurance, due to the fact that there are so many exclusions in the plan that it only insures space alien ship-on-car collisions (not space alien attacks, because that is an act of WAR, and not asteriods, because that is an act of GOD). Mein Gott! [/hijack]

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
With the thought of theft in mind, and because I wanted to spend money on myself for a change, I went to one of our great sponsors, powerstrokeshop.com. and got a factory alarm system to put into the Beast. Unfortunately, they shipped it DHL. It goes to Pensacola, and then DHL gives it to the U.S. Postal Service for delivery. I could have got it faster with Priority Mail!

I get white smoke when the engine is cold, but I am told that such a condition is normal until the truck warms up. Speaking of which, the weather folks call for temperatures here to fall to 20 degrees overnight. Time to plug in the block heater!

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
With the thought of theft in mind, and because I wanted to spend money on myself for a change, I went to one of our great sponsors, powerstrokeshop.com. and got a factory alarm system to put into the Beast. Unfortunately, they shipped it DHL. It goes to Pensacola, and then DHL gives it to the U.S. Postal Service for delivery. I could have got it faster with Priority Mail!

I get white smoke when the engine is cold, but I am told that such a condition is normal until the truck warms up. Speaking of which, the weather folks call for temperatures here to fall to 20 degrees overnight. Time to plug in the block heater!
GASP!! 20 DEGREES???!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Mein Gott!

Now, is that 20 degrees fahrenheit, or 20 degrees celsius? :roflmao

It was -8 here the other day, -20 with the wind chill.

Now, I know that Crumm is going to get on here and mock ME about temperatures, but I just had to get my licks in. :sorry

runnindiesel

yeppers....
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
my insurance company told me that if the door is locked with the truck running it would be breaking into it and it will be covered

Race22

Jim
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to take the chance on leaving it running, locked, with the keys in the ignition. I was a diesel mechanic for several years and it is a myth that you should leave diesel trucks running. We changed more turbo's because all of the truck drivers would sit with the engines idling for so long. It costs more in the long run to let one idle that to just shut it down. If you are going to let it idle, then at least put in something that will cause it to idle above 1300 RPM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14