ulsd hurting powerstrokes

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it is just out and out B.S. by someone wanting to slam the Power Stroke, especially the 6.0 version. If all the bad things about the 6.0 that were told to me actually came true, I would have been walking 20,000 miles ago. With the exception of a minor leak fixed under warranty, absolutely zero problems. We've had ULSD at the pumps here since November. A VERY slight reduction in fuel economy, but that could also be due to winter blend. We're far enough north in FL to get the stuff they send up north through the pipeline.

well i hope your right. and i actually heard this from a guy who works for a gm dealership and thinks of course the powerstroke ( no matter which one) is crap. so i really shouldnt of listened. but just in case i had to throw it out and see. i personally LOVE the powerstroke, 7.3 or 6.0! the 6.0 is the fastest factory truck ive ever driven! i miss mine every single day!:( but i hope this isnt true just for head ache reasons. but if it does become a problem, im sure theyll make somethin to fix it.

Strut61

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The only thing I've heard negative concerning ULSD is that during combustion it produces less BTU's (Less energy) than LSD. This is all regardless of additives for things such as lubrication and "Winter Blends".

As stated form a local Fuel dealer, the USLD should have no ill effects on any previous Diesel engine as all required lubrication additives are blended prior to sale. The only ill affect, if any, could be a slight decrease in fuel ecomomy.

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this happened to me my gauge went out and it said on the dash it was the fuel gauge, so the techs at my dealership droped the tank and cleaned it out and the sensor, works fine he said if it happens again chevron has a diesel cleaning additive just run it in a full tank and it will go back to normal. this happend after the first 3 tanks of ulsd i ran.

Friend of my dads had this happen to his 06 f-350 dealer did the same thing it works fine.

the additive is around 15 -20 dollars avalible at most chevron stations

rioshilo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
At my shop we have about a dozen 7.3's that we service on a regular basis. In addition to that are 2 more owned by myself and another employee. Around 6 months after the switch to usld almost all of these trucks saw fuel leaks, either from the drain valve or from the filter gasket. So much so that we started keeping the drain valves in stock. Of course these can and did leak before the switch, however the grouping of all these at one time leads me to believe that it was a direct result of the fuel switch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14