Question Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've got a 2000 F350 SD SRW with the 7.3 and 6 speed std. The parking brake cable, under the drivers seat, snapped. I replaced it being sure it was
tight but it barely holds the truck. In the Chiltons manual it states that the parking brake is auto adjusting. I'd prefer doing it that way than removing
everything and going by measurements IF I don't have to. Does anyone know if the old method with drum brakes adjusting by backing up and applying the brakes will work?

Thanx

Uncle Fred

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Uncle Fred and Welcome to SSD.com. I don't know about the parking brake,
but I bet someone will be by soon who does.
Having a 7.3 with a 6 Sp sounds so nice. How many miles do you have on it?
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've got a 2000 F350 SD SRW with the 7.3 and 6 speed std. The parking brake cable, under the drivers seat, snapped. I replaced it being sure it was
tight but it barely holds the truck. In the Chiltons manual it states that the parking brake is auto adjusting. I'd prefer doing it that way than removing
everything and going by measurements IF I don't have to. Does anyone know if the old method with drum brakes adjusting by backing up and applying the brakes will work?

Thanx

Uncle Fred

Hey Uncle Fred, I think your Chilton manual is NOT correct. My Ford DVD shows no mechanism that adjusts the parking brake by backing up. Sorry, it is done the old fashion way by crawling under the truck and turning the adjusting screw. Oh and :welcome2 Uncle Fred!

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELCOME ABOARD Uncle Fred ;tu;tu

A Great Site, with Great Members.. and Lotsa Knowledge.

Joe

skeeter

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The rear disc brake portion is auto adjusting, but the parking brake is not. They are two separate brake systems that use the rear disc rotor (inside shoes and outside disc) versus the old drum system which used the rear service brake shoes as a parking/emergency brake. Ford recommends the shoes be adjusted to .030" (.76mm) less than the inside diameter of the drum portion of the rear disc rotor.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The rear disc brake portion is auto adjusting, but the parking brake is not. They are two separate brake systems that use the rear disc rotor (inside shoes and outside disc) versus the old drum system which used the rear service brake shoes as a parking/emergency brake. Ford recommends the shoes be adjusted to .030" (.76mm) less than the inside diameter of the drum portion of the rear disc rotor.

more correctly, the cable is self-adjusting, the mechanism is not..

either way, you're still crawling under the truck.. :coffee

Uncle Fred

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, Thanx three-fold for the input. I couldn't recall any self adjusting linkage,
cams or otherwise the last time I had those rotor-drums off but the statement in
the Chiltons book prompted me to enter this forum before going out into the cold.
Getting a bit lazy in retirement. :^)

Fred

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl