Unclear? Which tuner for max MPG?

Locojonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking and searching all over this fine site, and I have to say I've learned alot about these trucks already. Thanks to everyone for the great information! However, on to my question.

I've been lucky enough to find a good deal on a '99 F250, 4x4, 7.3 w/ a 6spd manual. This truck is going to be a daily driver, with limited hauling and pulling duties, mostly a snowmobile trailer, and a tandem car trailer. I'm wondering which tuner or chip is going to net me the best fuel economy. I don't really care about power increases, as I'm not much of a throttle monkey, and the 7.3 already has more than enough power for what I'm going to use it for. I've got a good friend with almost the same truck, except with an auto trans. He's got a bully dog power pup, and is running 18-20 mpg hwy in the summer, set on the highest setting, but driving conservatively. Of course, in the ND winters, mileage goes down, as we do a bit more idling for warm-up when it's on the bad side of the thermometer!

Anyone have an opinion if there's a programmer or chip that is better than the PP for economy?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking and searching all over this fine site, and I have to say I've learned alot about these trucks already. Thanks to everyone for the great information! However, on to my question.

I've been lucky enough to find a good deal on a '99 F250, 4x4, 7.3 w/ a 6spd manual. This truck is going to be a daily driver, with limited hauling and pulling duties, mostly a snowmobile trailer, and a tandem car trailer. I'm wondering which tuner or chip is going to net me the best fuel economy. I don't really care about power increases, as I'm not much of a throttle monkey, and the 7.3 already has more than enough power for what I'm going to use it for. I've got a good friend with almost the same truck, except with an auto trans. He's got a bully dog power pup, and is running 18-20 mpg hwy in the summer, set on the highest setting, but driving conservatively. Of course, in the ND winters, mileage goes down, as we do a bit more idling for warm-up when it's on the bad side of the thermometer!

Anyone have an opinion if there's a programmer or chip that is better than the PP for economy?

My .03 would be:

Just about Any Programmer or Chip will make these 7.3 more efficient. Most have an economy tune. Custom tuners are also available if you want specific performance.

Also IMO, these things are purdy well Choked down when stock. EPA regs drive that.

A better intake and exhaust system does wunders for that. A new Tune for the PCM.. even more.

But.. the Biggest and Best economy will be achieved by programming in Conservative Control of Inputs from your Right Foot..;) :)

I Keep my RPMs between 15 & 1800. Travel at 62 MPH (1800 RPM w/3.73s) on the highway, I never drive in 6th (OD) anywhere, in town traffic, but never Lug it. Let the torque do the work.

And, I try.. Real Hard.. to NOT.. Mash the Go peddle (much). Get 'bout 18 MPGs, on average.

Which tuner to buy? The choice would be yours to make. The BEST one will probaly be.. The one the responders to your Post have.;) I'm happy with my Quadzilla.

:dunno

Last edited:

Locojonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I Keep my RPMs between 15 & 1800. Travel at 62 MPH (1800 RPM w/3.73s) on the highway, I never drive in 6th (OD) anywhere, in town traffic, but never Lug it. Let the torque do the work.

Do you mean you don't use OD even on the highway? I've been on to the trick of taking my time, and keeping my speed down for a while(Thanks Tommy!) , but I'm a little confused on how you meant the OD remark. I would think on the highway, in OD, you would increase mpg simply by the decrease in rpm. Or does the higher gear cause the engine to work harder by lugging it?

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the DP Tuner with an econo setting. I gained 1 to 1.5 mpg. But the mileage gain is wiped out by the fun factor testing out the other settings. I had already installed a 4" exhaust and DIY Intake when the tuner was put in.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean you don't use OD even on the highway? I've been on to the trick of taking my time, and keeping my speed down for a while(Thanks Tommy!) , but I'm a little confused on how you meant the OD remark. I would think on the highway, in OD, you would increase mpg simply by the decrease in rpm. Or does the higher gear cause the engine to work harder by lugging it?

No, No... I use 6th (OD) ALL the time on the Big Road. Any thing below 1600 RPM I go to 5th tho. When Towing, anything under 2000, gets the next lower gear.

In my way of thinking, with Dezel getn toward 4 bucks a gallon.. in my 'round town driving, I often start off in 3rd (1st being Granny low) 1 less rev to 2400= 1 less shift= maybe a little less fuel used.:dunno

I'm not one to Fret over MPGs unless I saw a unusual Drop
from my normal fill-up at a half a tank (300ish miles). Bottom Line for me is (?) these 6 to 8000 pound, 444 cid big 'ol honk'n, built Ford Tough trucks are Not.. and Never will Be..Econo Boxes. We need to be ever Mind-full of that.

IMO..Our Driving Habits & Style will get us, as a rule a'thumb, 15 to 20 MPG. Good as it gets.

Joe

Last edited:

Locojonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys. I realize I'm not driving a Metro, but I'd like to get as much as I can for the money I'm donating to the oil companies CEO bonuses!

Locojonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here's another question I'd like to trhow at you guys. Is there a downloader available that also has a display to moniter egt, boost, and all that good stuff for the '99?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Here's another question I'd like to trhow at you guys. Is there a downloader available that also has a display to moniter egt, boost, and all that good stuff for the '99?
SCT Livewire has the ability to measure several engine conditions.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really want a good set of anolog gauges and a DP tuner or Tony Wildman chip...

But dont chip it thinking about added MPG, most will be dissapointed.

dmd

Reaction score
You really want a good set of anolog gauges and a DP tuner or Tony Wildman chip...

But dont chip it thinking about added MPG, most will be dissapointed.

I run Tony's stuff and really like it... :sweet

I think the big intake and big exhaust helps the most. With just the chip
you will see more power and a lot more EGT. Adding the intake and 4-inch
exhaust will really make a difference. If you tow you will want to look
at the ATS housing, or the wicked wheel. I like the ATS because it is
much more quiet and many feel it is a better solution to turbo surge that
can happen with towing. I tow a 10,000lb travel trailer. Surge was bad
before I added the ATS. ATS also got rid of the intake hissing under
load, and when shifting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads