Underbody Rust

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on attacking underbody rust. Thinking about using SEM products. Specifically, something to stop the rust and then paint it all black. Anyone have any experience with these? I'd like NOT to have to clean off rust so thinking the rust stopper would hopefully do the trick to stop the rust.

6950 Rust Mort
39304, 39308 - RUST-SEAL
38061-38194 - RUST-SHIELD (Black, and some parts red)

Looks like the dealer closest to me is:

FinishMaster
8490 Kao Circle
Manassas, VA 20110
Phone: (703) 335-5577

Do I need to use the Rust Mort and the Rust Seal? Or just one or the other?

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well no experience with those exact products but I have treated parts of my truck like inner lower doors and frame. I would atleast scrape the loose stuff off with a putty knife or screw driver cause if you treat it and that chunk falls off you will have untreated metal there. I use permatex rust treatment. Turns black when dry and treated. Then I just use a good undercoating. Treatment is key.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be painted over with a topcoat color of your choice.

Here is an example of the rust I am trying to treat. Tankerdude...from your experience, I can just paint over this and it will stop the rust? How does my rust look? Par for course, or pretty bad? I don't know how to judge.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal rust, IMHO.

Did you read the Rust Bullet web page?

If it were me, I'd use the Rust Bullet. I think I'd also hit the worst spots with a wire wheel or the like.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looked about that way last summer, Roadie. I used "POR-15". 1 quart went a long way. I got it on me in and probably am still wearing it off. I scraped loose stuff off where I could, and I used a pre-treatment that etched the steel and reacted with the rust, then the POR-15 also reacted with it. I gave it 2 or 3 light coats of POR-15 and 2 coats of paint just to further seal it. All the rusty areas turned blackish upon application. Much better than "reactive primers" I've tried from various auto stores.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal rust, IMHO.

Did you read the Rust Bullet web page?

If it were me, I'd use the Rust Bullet. I think I'd also hit the worst spots with a wire wheel or the like.

yeah I did. I liked the fact that you said you use on your semi; must be some heavy duty stuff.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looked about that way last summer, Roadie. I used "POR-15". 1 quart went a long way. I got it on me in and probably am still wearing it off. I scraped loose stuff off where I could, and I used a pre-treatment that etched the steel and reacted with the rust, then the POR-15 also reacted with it. I gave it 2 or 3 light coats of POR-15 and 2 coats of paint just to further seal it. All the rusty areas turned blackish upon application. Much better than "reactive primers" I've tried from various auto stores.

thanks, i'll check it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58