Union Pacific~ 4-8-8-4 Big Boys

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno Might be Old News for some.. but for any of you Train Buff/Rail Fans ?

Looks like one of these 600 ton Behemoths is coming back to life, under Live Steam !!

Should be interesting. Learn more at: www.TrainsMag.com/BigBoy ?

Joe

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We call fans Foamers.:D Most railroad employees are closet foamers.:lmao

Then I'm Surely a Foamer.. along with the closet RR workers. I'm inta' anything RR. :):lmao

You can search youtube for the UP 8414 videos. It was a little project to remove this locomotive from it home.;tu;tu

Watched those. Very interesting, and Very carefully done.. had to be I guess, after 50 years of "Cold Iron", and on static display. I bet there was a BUNCH of prep work that had to be done, before ANYTHING was done about moving it.

Hope to see the 8414 under it's own Pressure.... and on the Rails. :sweet:sweet

Joe

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
They did a basic bearing inspection. Removed the Pistons and any valve gear that may cause problems.
The brakes were disabled. You can see the cheater hose in the photos.
Now they will attack the bearings and brakes for the big move to the steam shop.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 8414 when it gets the big tow to the shop. That should be an interesting sight.:D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did a basic bearing inspection. Removed the Pistons and any valve gear that may cause problems.
The brakes were disabled. You can see the cheater hose in the photos.
Now they will attack the bearings and brakes for the big move to the steam shop.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 8414 when it gets the big tow to the shop. That should be an interesting sight.:D

Yep.. saw all those cheater hoses, and capped off pipeing too. Bet the trip to the steam shop will need to be a WELL planned one.. with all the 'Ol Timey mechanical type stops needed.. for bearing/bushing/wick cup service. Hope someone films/records it all.

That BIG BOY whistle sure did sound Weak & Puny.. on just air pressure... from the Head End Loco(s). :lmao

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The smaller lines are lube lines for the remaining vale gear and cross heads. I'm not sure if they will yank the valve gear off for its next journey. The world will find out when its ready to hit the road.:D

The whistle has it's own plumbing with a small compressor to make some noise. This was done by the museum years ago. I guess the museum wanted to make some noise.:lmao

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
we saw this big boy in Cheyenne this summer
I to am a foamer
those big machines are some of the most gorgeous machines man has ever built

Attachments

• 20130623_122058.jpg
    20130623_122058.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
we saw this big boy in Cheyenne this summer
I to am a foamer
those big machines are some of the most gorgeous machines man has ever built

A little foaming is good. Somebody took some time on this one. The paint is in really nice shape. Most locomotive turn to rust pretty quick when they get stuffed and mounted.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awhile back, there was an old locomotive moved from Dallas to Frisco to a museum. Due to its slow movement, took a couple of days but it's now in it's new home.
Off topic a bit, but I've always wanted to ride the Texas State Railroad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg