Union

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Used to be in the IAM when I worked for AWAC, now the new company is very against unions, they wont have a choice come soon I think.

KY-LX

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mille-ryan said:
Used to be in the IAM when I worked for AWAC, now the new company is very against unions, they wont have a choice come soon I think.
Great use the right to orgnize vote the union in

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
KY-LX said:
seems like quiet a few of us proud American's here
Youre right about the Proud American part, but being in a union was a drag on me professionally. Been out of the union for 8 years now and am much happier. Better pay, better treatment and better bennys.

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Youre right about the Proud American part, but being in a union was a drag on me professionally. Been out of the union for 8 years now and am much happier. Better pay, better treatment and better bennys.

Same here. When I worked my old civilian job .... I started off a normal worker. Then joined the union. Total mistake. Pay & benny's were the same (minus due's) .... but what a nightmare. FWIW, it was a Teamsters org. Why did I join the military? To get out of the union.

LOL, j/k on the last part.

KY-LX

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you have a stong local and good people running it then its good but if you dont your wasting your time as for my job nonunion start out around $16.00hr union $21.97 with killer pension, annuity,heath dental vision payed for so i can complain

KY-LX

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Im a Boilermaker i dont have my tube welding paper yet but when i do it is on up in the $30 hr range i still got 2 more years in the apprenticeship program than i get my journeyman certs

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Wow, I never knew a boiler maker made that kind of money.Im definately changes careers.Gonna start using my dwon time at work to learn how to weld, never to late I guess.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
SeventyMach1 said:
Same here. When I worked my old civilian job .... I started off a normal worker. Then joined the union. Total mistake. Pay & benny's were the same (minus due's) .... but what a nightmare. FWIW, it was a Teamsters org. Why did I join the military? To get out of the union.

I gotta admit, my past experiences haven't left me with real favorable feelings about unions either.

My wife has been a Registered nurse for over 20 years now. When she was a supervisor at the local hospital, she was compelled to move from that job to a staff position. That meant she had to join the union. Even though she was older and had more experience than most of the younger nurses, they had senority. My wife went a full year and a half before she was able to take a single vacation day. On top of that she had to work every holiday too. Even when she was able to finally take vacation, it was at a time of the year when nobody wants to take vacation time.

That's the nice thing about the military, you don't loose senority when you move from base to base. You wear your senority on your shoulder. My rank: View attachment 3326 has more senority than this:View attachment 3327.

So if you want to take vacation on 4th of July, you go and the Airman stays at work. It doesn't mean a damn thing that he has been at that base for a year and you just arrived from another base only 3 months ago.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58