Question Unusual Noise when cold

Davesz06

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a noise coming from the engine compartment when i start out in the morning when the engine is cold. It seems very loud when you step on the fuel throttle. It lasts till the truck warms up than disappears. I took it to the local dealer and had it checked out and they told me it didn't sound right but couldn't put a finger on it. Anybody out there having the same problem or heard the same noise? This is my first ford diesel and dont know if this is a trait
of this engine. :dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Diesel engines make noise when cold. This is the nature of the beast. I can't say that your noise is normal or not, but if Ford says it is not normal, then...

Dave

fritz2004

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the diesel engine big or small will always have a noise until its warmed up. that is natural but if it does continue at some point after it is warmed up if u r able to give description of it maybe we can all try to help ya..

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
try test driving a new one on the lot in the a.m. to see if it sounds the same. if not you got a problem.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Ok, hold your horses. I had a similar experience a few years ago. First, how cold is it? Second, what does it sound like? I ask because I moved to a colder climate and all of a sudden, below 30*, I noticed a roaring sound and truck seemed to be losing power. Acceleration would stop it but as soon as speed leveled out it started again.

I took it to 2 ford dealers and neither could figure it out. One went so far as to suggest my waste gate was sticking. Funny, I don't HAVE a waste gate. Both dealers spent a collective SIX WEEKS diagnosing NOTHING. Our trucks have an exhaust back pressure valve to aid in warming up on cold starts. It is a butterfly valve under the turbo that closes in cold temperatures and then stops once the engine is warmed up. If your truck roars and feels sluggish, it is probably the valve and it is entirely normal. Just because a ford "technician" says he thinks there is something wrong, don't believe him without further investigation.

There is a simple test - unplug the EBPV. There is a plug near the base of the turbo. Unplug it and the valve will not close. It will cause an error code but no other problem. If this does not fix the issue, then maybe you do have a problem but don't jump to conclusions yet. If 2 dealers could not figure out my stock performance, I hesitate to put any faith in their diagnoses. If a technician can't tell from a visual inspection that I have no waste gate, what does that tell you?

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any codes? guarantee its the fan clutch. had some bad noises the first winter with the 08. sure enough that what it was. let us know

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan Clutch, EBPV, or both.. doing what they are designed to do: Aid in a Faster warm up. AND it's a Diesel. They ALL, Roar, Rattle'n Cackle when cold. It's the nature of the Beast.

My 2K has made the WRRR/Roaring noise, with a sluggish throttle, from Day 1, louder if I have the EBPV switched on.

I've learned to look at it like: ;tu Good, They're working.

As long as the noise goes away, after warm up, or a mile or two ? I wouldn't be concerned about it ?

Last edited:

preito520

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dash Noise

Mine makes an annoying sound in the passenger dash section at low RPM or when its hitting bumps. My buddies F350 doesnt do it taking to the Dealership to get it checked out. Mine does it once the cab is warm vice cold.

preito520

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mine does it just at idle too. I think something is too tight and expands and rubs that would explain it not doing it when its cold. :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58