Update: Auto Hubs Problem

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a thread on here talking about how I can't get my hubs to engage automatically. I looked the truck over this afternoon and narrowed the problem down to the right side overall hub assembly (not the lockout). Basically, I can plug the vacuum line at the right knuckle and get the left side hub to lock. I can pull a small vacuum on the left hub by itself and it is sealed up tight. It engages and disengages properly when I toggle the vacuum on or off. When I pull the vacuum at the right hub, I have a small leak. I can hear a slight hiss, very very quiet. I can swap the lockouts from side to side and I still get the same result at the right hub assembly. It is not the vacuum hose, it is somewhere inside the overall hub assembly. I know I've got the outer o-ring on the lockout, but how about the inner seal? Where is that at? I see how to remove the hub assembly, the 4 nuts on the inner side of the knuckle. I don't want to dig any deeper until I've got the parts I need to fix it at the same time.

Also, for the pulse vacuum solenoid: is it supposed to be pulling a steady vacuum the entire time when I've got 4 wheel engaged? When I disconnect the hose with 4-wheel engaged after a few minutes, I don't hear much vacuum getting pulled at the hub, just a single momentary hiss. Seems like it should be constant to keep the lockout engaged.

Basically, I'm thinking I've got the problem narrowed down to a seal in the hub assembly, or that it is the solenoid.

What do you all think?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You don't have to remove the knuckle. You need to remove the hub by taking out the snap ring on the outside of the hub. PM me your email address and I will send you all sorts of stuff in this system. This stuff is from the Ford DVD on service this truck, most of it is.

Dave

Super 05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to hi-jack here. I just replaced the ball joints and think I have damaged the inner seal as my 4wd is not working. Can I just remove the hub by removing the snap ring and 4 nuts and bring the axle through the center of the knuckle? Or will I have to remove the axle and knuckle all again? Would be much easier if the axle will come through the knuckle,replace the seal, and put everything back together.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58