upfitter switch and tow command

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No... you need the dash to say Check Trailer and beep when you unlpug it. It also sends error messages to the dash. It's probably as simple as setting an IP address, so they can takl to each other.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is one other thing I think that it's needed for. The forced downshifting. You can't get that without the brake controller if I'm not mistaken. You after market brake controller isn't going to give you that.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
That forced downshifting of the automatic transmission is worth the expense of having it programmed. Don't know if using the excuse of "Mys TBC is messed up!" will work, though. AFAIK the daler can see how the truck came out of the Louisville plant by just running the VIN through Ford's database. What the hey, it's worth a shot!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the prodigy brake controller and think they work great. But you know there is always a but. I love the brake controller in my 06 along with the electric hydraulic disk brakes on our Hitch Hiker. If you ever try them you will love them.

(rray said) That forced downshifting of the automatic transmission is worth the expense of having it programmed. RIGHT ON!

dieselpilot

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I purchased the IBC "kit" and it does come with a new master cylinder that has to be installed as part of the retrofit. The truck will also "probably" have to have the computer set to recognize the IBC however the dealer is not sure. My dealer did honour their agreement to pickup half the cost so out of pocket cost was $250.00 CDN. My dealer has never retrofitted a truck before so they are interested in seeing how my installation works out.

I am going to do the work and if the computer needs reprogramming they will do it for $50.00 bucks unless I stuffed up on the install. I don’t expect any problems as I have access to FORD dealer connect and looked up the process on their site, pretty basic, plug the unit in, R & R the master cylinder, bleed the brakes and master cylinder, probably reprogram the computer. FORD also advises to pull the instrument panel off because the brake controller has a very large plastic tab that has to lock into the dash recess. I’ll see how it goes.

I liked my prodigy but it didn’t seem to like my trailer. My trailer is fairly heavy at 12,000 lbs and I had to set the gain to maximum and the boost setting to 3 for effective braking. However in slow traveling my brakes would squeal like a stuck pig, kind of embarrassing when pulling into a campground at suppertime. I had the brakes checked and they work as expected so it was something related to the prodigy and my trailer. When I used my older brake controller the brakes didn’t squeal at all, even when approaching lockup. So who knows.

Anyway I’ll let you know how the retrofit goes so thanks again for all the advice. The comments are very much appreciated

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The squeal you're hearing might be electrical, from the pwm controller that modulated the power to the brake magnets. Does it change sound with the harder you press the pedal? it should be dependant on the amount of power you're asking the brakes to provide. Probably the noisiest at low brake levels, right?

I didn't recal seeing anything in the factory book about taking the dash out to put the brake controller in or out. I can revisit that if you like...

moe-jiller

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dieselpilot: Could you please publish the installation instructions? I wanted to buy a closeout MY06 but it did not have the brake controler. Might still consider if the OEM kit can be done - Dealer has no experience with this. Thanks ajm

dieselpilot

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm going to stick it in this weekend and pictures will be taken. It is actually very simple as all the connectors are already in place if your truck build is after July 04. I've physically located the underhood connector to the master cylinder, it wasn't in the place I first suspected and took a bit of looking around.

The kit also came with a complete set of instructions so I'll scan those as well. The kit does require that the computer be set to identify that the controller is installed and a TBC error will be displayed until this final process is completed and the brake controller will not function properly until the error message is addressed. The instructions also set out the steps to clear the code, takes about 10 minutes to navigate the process.

Pictures soon!

dieselpilot

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The tow command and upfitter switchs are in and working as expected. I had this great post with pictures and the installion instructions etc ready to go and lost the damn thing, so this is the shorter form. Everything went according to plan, upfiter switches took about 45 minutes and the tow command took a little longer because of the need to bleed the new master cylinder. Upfitter switch #4 runs high idle and I also installed a bypass relay that simulates applying the parking brake when switch 4 is engaged so, put the truck in park, flip the switch and high idle.

Here's some photos of the tow command installation without the explanations.

I did reprogram the truck to recognise the tow command as 2 error codes were stored as DTCs. 5 minutes later the codes were cleared and the truck setup, did it myself with our in-shop OBDC II programmer. The method was included in the ford instructions.:thumbs
View attachment 2658 View attachment 2659 View attachment 2660

View attachment 2661 View attachment 2662
View attachment 2664 View attachment 2663

The first 2 parts are posted in a later post

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58