Upgraded 6.0 EGR cooler

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the 2003 and even some 2004 trucks the block off could work while the EGR valve only unplugged. Even with using a full EGR delete kit you still need to remove the EGR valve function since the PCM will read low flow. Some people will pull the EGR valve and leave it on top the motor but you still need to remove the PCM function.

MuleMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So how does one remove the PCM function? I have blocked off the cooler and left the EGR valve in place. What do you recommend?

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the hijack............

You can use the SCT with a custom tune to remove the EGR valve function. This can be done without adding any power that most people desire.

MuleMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got the EGR block kit installed. The process isn't for the light mechanic types, sure learned a lot and could do it again but be ready for 2 days of work. I left the original EGR valve in the manifold and it has run fine for 4 years. The exhaust system was a bigger upgrade as temps never get beyond 950 degrees F. One thing I learned later, I should have cleaned the turbo when it was off. Look for help on YouTube. I also run the engine with higher RPMs - take it to 2500 and I think it cleans out some deposites. After running it at higher RPMs for a few minutes, when it idles, the temps drop to about 320 degrees F and is smoother. I now have 61k miles and thinking about selling it.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow only 3 years 1 month and 28 days from your first post. I would say that it wasn't for the light mechanicing type person. I'm in the middle of 4 weeks of putting mine back together from new Sinister Cooler,, oil cooler, cleaned and anti-siezed the turbo, new glow plug wires and an good cleaning of the cob webs and road grit from off and around the engine. I've done the majority of the work my self with a mechanic helping me to tear it down. Broke an intake bolt last night and had to backtrack some to get it out. Gotta go by the dealership to get a new one ordered tomorrow. I wanted to go delete but was worried about limited resale in some parts of the world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg