UPGRADES

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
This question has been around as long as there have been aftermarket upgrades for our trucks. Let me get this out of the way first. This truck is a daily driver. It will occasionally tow a 27 foot TT but will not be used for drags or pulls. It needs to be reliable and efficient. With that being said I am looking for low cast but effective upgrades.

There are probably as many adds and claims for products as their are trucks on the road. I am looking for real world experiences. My budget is less than $2000. Which exhaust, tuner, turbo, etc, have proven their mettle?

I have read many posts here about low to no cost upgrades that I also plan on doing. I don't want to waste my money just to find they don't work as advertised.

Finally, is there anything universally agreed upon to avoid at all cost (product or brand)?:confused:

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-Do the 6637 air filter mod.
-Get a good 4" turbo back exhaust if it's a 7.3 SD. I don't live where they 'salt the roads' so I didn't go with a SS exhaust and saved some $$.
-Get a programer. Most guys here use DP but I went with a Superchip (I didn't know any better at the time). I will get a DP tune later...
-A set of guages will help keep an eye on your egt, trans temp and boost.
I pull our 28 foot TT toy hauler with my truck with no problem. Good luck and enjoy your truck.
Hal

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Fill out your signature info and tell us about your truck. That'll help us recommend upgrades.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Thank you for the inputs. I hate using the search function because I can never find what I'm looking for using it. There is way too much info in here and a lot of it may not be up to date. It's easier to directly ask and this also ensures I get current, real time information.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP, An AFE stage 2, Any 4" turbo back exhaust, ATS Compressor housing, set of gauges and a Chip from one of the fine vendors will put you right at 300-320 rwhp... and makes a fine tow rig.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
nc1500,

Ask all the questions you want................we are here to help.

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the inputs. I hate using the search function because I can never find what I'm looking for using it. There is way too much info in here and a lot of it may not be up to date. It's easier to directly ask and this also ensures I get current, real time information.

The key to a letting, or makeing, a stock 7.3 run better is to: Give it more Air, Fuel and Exhaust capability. Open it up.

Take a look at some of our Signatures and ask some specific question. For $2000.00 you can get there, and it's mostly... Remove & Replace.. Bolt on, Screw on, Plug in stuff.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
To the OP, An AFE stage 2, Any 4" turbo back exhaust, ATS Compressor housing, set of gauges and a Chip from one of the fine vendors will put you right at 300-320 rwhp... and makes a fine tow rig.

x2

I've got the AFE Stage 2 and gauges so far, doing the ATS housing next as I've got some surge going on when towing, then a DP Tuner and 4" exhaust.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
Thanks again for the inputs. Update:

Has anyone tried the FS-2500 system from Filtration Systems Worldwide? From the product info. received it seems like a necessary upgrade, considering I am keeping this truck until it returns to the earth as scrap.

I believe I'm initially going to add the FS for the oil and trans, 4" turbo back aluminized, True Flow intake, DP Tripple Play, BD Diesel monitor, upgraded trans cooler and Cryo Slot rotors and Hawk pads. Should be within ( or close to) $2000.

When the budget allows a turbo housing and wheel, trans pan and diff covers, exhaust brake, Gear Vendors OD, triple disc torque convertor, valve body and trans controller, 4:10 gears with E-locker front/rear diffs., 4" front coil conversion, 35's, rear airbags, Pioneer AVIC head unit, off road bumpers, and so much more...

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
just buy a BB turbo and not waste the money on a wheel and housing. u will be glad u went that way with the drop in. Just save the money and look into TN and Garrett for the BB turbos

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14