Upper Rear Shock mount/nut stripped

bserventi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am trying to replace the shocks on my 03 f 250. I got all of them done except the right rear.

If you look at the rear shock, the lower part of the shock has a bolt and nut that go through two tabs and the shock. The upper part of the shock mounts over a stud and is held in place with a nut. The previous owner must have stripped out the nut when putting the shocks on, now I cant remove the nut to get the shock off.

Any suggestions on how to get the stripped nut off the stud, and what to do when I get it off to mount the new shock on if the threads are trashed .

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
vice-grips work pretty well, clamp them on the nut first, and try to loosen it. you may have to get another set on the shock body below the bushing to keep the shock shaft from spinning. If thet doesn't work, a torch works pretty well, if you have access to one. The new shocks should have new hardware with them, so do whatever you have to to get it off, and don't worry about what the old shock looks like when done!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Cut it with a hacksaw or grinder. After you get it off, see if you can get the proper size nut back on. THEY ARE METRIC and the idiot before you used a standard thread nut (I would bet big $$ on this). If you can't get the proper nut back on, re-thread the bolt to the appropriate size standard thread for a standard nut.

Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14