comment used transmission fluid for fuel?

mrpowerstrokeman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just wanting to find out how many people out there is running atf in there trucks? i have a 02 f350 7.3 100 hp edge programmer. i run a 50/50 mix diesal and used atf. Have been for 3 years havent seen any power compromises no side affects. the biggest thing is how you filter it. before the fuel gets to my injectors it has been filtered 5 times. just food for thought.:sweet

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
50/50 mix? that must be smokey, and hot. what are your EGT's getting up to when you run that mix?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is your truck, but I would NOT use any ATF, new or used. It has friction modifiers and other stuff in it that is not good to burn in the engine. Use 2 cycle oil. It is cheap.

Dave

mrpowerstrokeman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dont notice any more smoke than usual. any havent seen high egts. i have stock exhaust and at 65mph im at 550-600. have co workers that have 200k on their vehicles and from new have been running a 50/50 mix and no problems.

dpantazis

Reaction score
the base stocks to atf are good oils. its the additives and contaminants that get you.

we have thoroughly debated this here.

2 things to ask yourself-

would you burn it in a waste oil burner at home where you raise your family and grow your food?

would you pour the waste oil down the storm drain?

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i think this issue has a lot of mixed feelings i used to hear people doing this all the time and their diesels ran forever also heard the same about propane and other things on diesel trucks then you hear other people that would never even think about doing this and it will blow up your engine so who knows like said its your truck and no one elses so do whatever tickles your fancy

mrpowerstrokeman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i work at a ford dealership and I'm a diesel mechanic. in out shop we have 7 of the 15 mechanics all drive 7.3s and we all run a 50/50 mix. i have ran my truck thru emissions testing with this mixture and passed with flying colors (removing chip of course). it burns clean if the truck still passes emissions.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
2 questions-

how often are you changing your fuel filter since you are running mass quantities of clutch material through it?

in out shop we have 7 of the 15 mechanics all drive 7.3s and we all run a 50/50 mix.

7- 7.3's, using ~20 gallons per week of fuel each, 50/50 mix would be 10 gallons of used atf EACH......................where are you guys coming up with approx. 70 gallons of used atf every week?

mrpowerstrokeman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
like i said the fluid is filtered five times before it is to the engine. so there is NO clutch material to the engine. the filtration process is critical. im NOT putting it straight from a transmission in my tank guys. the filter on our barrel is a 5 micron filter.

second 15 guys in the shop on average 1-2 transmission services a day some times more sometimes less. 16 quart flushes, here we go math time!!!

16 quart flush = 4 gallons of atf
15 flushes a day = 60 gallons a day APROX.
times 5 days = 300 gallons a week.

really its not that difficult!!!

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
15 flushes a day??? business must be booming out on the west coast, the dealership i work for only does 1-2 per week.

with 50/50 mix how does it start/run in the winter?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg